Light-O-Rama Forums

Need to run HU everytime power up computer to get LOR to work?

voatek

Painfully simple question, but am new to LOR - Residential starter package; One controller, software on grandson's laptop. Everytime he powers up the computer, controller isn't communicating;  he has to open HU & "refresh", then exit HU, and start sequence editor, which then works. HU shows correct comm port, but not controller ID without refresh. Shouldn't  configuration be retained?, or am I missing a step? Thanks

Are you sure this is what's happening? As described, it seems very strange.  Just to make sure I understand what you're saying:

You're saying that if you just start the Sequence Editor, without having started the Hardware Utility, the Sequence Editor cannot control the lights, but if you start the Hardware Utility, do a refresh, exit the Hardware Utility, and start the Sequence Editor, then the Sequence Editor is able to control the lights?

Is that an accurate summary of what you're saying is happening? If so, are you 100% sure that it is indeed happening? For example that you're 100% sure that if you reboot the computer, start up the Sequence Editor, and try to control the lights, it does not work?

Maybe he needs to do the autoscan and then tell it that the serial port found, is the one to be used to control the lights

But then the problem should have stopped happening - i.e. he should be able to use the SE without opening the HU first in future reboots.

Because I have controllers with the dials for assigning channels, the last time I used the HU was maybe back in 2008. Even adding more controllers I didn't need the HU.

Not sure, but doesn't the control panel need to have the "Launch at Startup" checked from the bulb icon in the sys tray?      If I close the LOR software and DO NOT have the Control Panel launch at startup, I seem to recall the SE wouldn't work unless the control panel was launched that opens other things like the LOR Tray?  

Maybe I'm incorrect, just think this is how it should or is supposed to work...?

And this wouldn't require having to launch the LOR software at each and every startup, providing the control panel is started at Windows startup.

Edited by Orville

The only thing that "Launch at Startup" should affect is whether or not the LOR Control Panel automatically starts when your computer starts.  If it seems to have any effect other than that, please open up a help desk ticket with the details.  Thanks.

The only thing that "Launch at Startup" should affect is whether or not the LOR Control Panel automatically starts when your computer starts.  If it seems to have any effect other than that, please open up a help desk ticket with the details.  Thanks.

The SE will work without the Control Panel in operation Bob?  Never mind...LOL, just answered my own question.  Just unloaded it and sure enough everything else works without having the Control Panel open except being able to run a show, can't enable a show without it in operation.  And all this time I really thought the Control Panel needed to be in operation to run the other LOR programs.

There are things that won't work without the Control Panel open, but there's a difference between "without the Control Panel open" and "without Launch at Startup enabled".

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am sort of "long distance" tech support for a grandson - Bottom line is that LOR software & controller now are working properly together. Thank you to all, even if we don't know what actually caused the original problem.