Light-O-Rama Forums

anybody else have this problem with rigid conduit !?!

portcity_gt

The joint are tight, but it still has some slack.....and it bent when raising it. Any chance of it collapsing with the lights on it?

20151121_154009_zps9l16q93p.jpg

I just had that exact same thing happen. I was raising the pole faster than my kids were pulling on the guide wires. Resulted in a bent pole. Took it down made a new section found a better way to put it up.

I think the oposite happened to mine.....i used the boat crank that raises the hook head to raise it....and i think i was lifting the pole slower than my wife was cranking.

I knew i should have went with my first idea of welding in smaller pipe to make a sleeve at the joints.

Oh well, i shimmed the base to take the bow out....ill deal with a fix after the season.

20151121_154204_zpsypakpizc.jpg

My second attempt to raise the pole we used a couple of large step ladders. At the poles midpoint we put the step ladders up with the guide wires going up and over them. Until it's got at about 45 degree angle. We took it a little slower and communicated better. That attempt went very well. I'm using one and a quarter inch EMT conduit. I welded 18 inch pieces of 1 inch water pipe inside to make slip joints I'm using three 10 foot sections. I cemented a piece of PVC pipe into the ground to slide the conduit into.

My second attempt to raise the pole we used a couple of large step ladders. At the poles midpoint we put the step ladders up with the guide wires going up and over them. Until it's got at about 45 degree angle. We took it a little slower and communicated better. That attempt went very well. I'm using one and a quarter inch EMT conduit. I welded 18 inch pieces of 1 inch water pipe inside to make slip joints I'm using three 10 foot sections. I cemented a piece of PVC pipe into the ground to slide the conduit into.

I used the pole pin that Christmas Light Show sells.  This straightens the joint considerably.  I had not problem with bending.  You definitely need something inside the pole at the joint to keep it from bending.

• Like 1

I can understand emt bending.....but i didnt expect thick wall rigid to bend.

Maybe i should use roll cage tubing next year.

I tries to use conduit lats year, my center pole was only 15 feet high, it got bent as well. This year i went with 1 3/8" fence top rail.

The problem is that you need to put the top one in place first and hold it there with a sky hook.   Then you raise the others in succession until it is all done.  Then you can release the first sky hook and so on.  add guy wires and you're good to go.  Simple.. take only about 30 min start to finish once the sky hooks are in place..    :P

I can understand emt bending.....but i didnt expect thick wall rigid to bend.

Maybe i should use roll cage tubing next year.

the problem isn't the strength of the material. The problem is that the weight of the material exceeds the strength.

Buckling --- a common mechanical failure mode. In pure compression, the pipe is easily strong enough to support its weight and some load, but any slight perturbation (offset or tilt) will result in a bending moment that can exceed the strength of the column. A wider pipe or shorter pipe will help as will the already suggested stiffening of the joints.

I used the pole pin that Christmas Light Show sells. This straightens the joint considerably. I had not problem with bending. You definitely need something inside the pole at the joint to keep it from bending.

I'm trying it this year too. Using 20ft of 1-3/4" rigid conduit. Cut the threads off where it joins and inserted the pole pin. Seems very secure. Survived 40-50 gusts the other night.

Edited by Mega Arch

I had a similar problem couple of years ago. That summer I replaced the chain link fence in my back yard, and used the top rail as my pole. The pole is about 20-25 feet tall, the twist is I welded three together to form a triangle shaped pole. I get the advantage of a "wider" pole with out as much extra weight, and I didn't have to buy anything to build it.  

Yeah im seriously considering some 1 3/4 crome moly roll cage tubing for next year.....its plenty strong and light. My shop is 32'x64' so i could easily hang a one piece 30' pole on the wall in the off season.

Maybe just borrow or rent a couple high power drones... lift it up like a chopper does heavy loads to tops of building ...

hold it there and then gently lower it down onto a steak and connect the guide wires..

I have several quadcopters....none can lift a 100+lb pole though lol.

And there would still be the same problem lifting it off the ground.