Light-O-Rama Forums

Newb - Want To Purchase, But Need Input

gonzo

First, I have to say I'm very happy to know there is a simpler way at displaying a house light show then with DMX.  I'm certainly not even that good with DMX and I'm really excited to get started with LOR.

All, I'm ignorant on what to purchase as I have NO products from LOR.  I have a Windows OS machine that I can dedicate and I have a good number of LED strand lights I can work with.

For now, I'm just looking at something simple to work with for my first year in displaying lights around the front of my home.

Would like to set up for Christmas 2015.  I reside in the Central Virginia area and I am no fan of getting on top of the roof of my home.  This house is has some steeps areas that I'm no fan of.  Considering decorating the front and the plant areas and garage.

I have no clue on how to program with the software and would certainly be looking for ready made scenes to work with.

Would love it if I could get a good listing of all this rookie needs to get up and running for this coming Christmas.

Appreciate your help.

Mark

The below picture is the front of our home:

29dd66d.jpg

16 channel starter kit is your best bet for this year. Fairly basic but time is short.

Depends how good you are on computers. Not to difficult to learn and there are plenty of tutorials, help files and forums to read.

• Like 1

16 channel kit would do the windows and part of the porch

purchase some sequences from Light O Rama and/or do your own

You will have a little bit of a learning curve on the basic software

Download the software for free, and use the unregistered version to learn it

good luck

• Like 1

With a week for shipping any LOR products and having no LOR hardware/software experience, probaly too late for 2015.   Could target for 2016 and get LOR producsts during the LOR spirng or summer sales.

That would allow you to hook up controller and some lights right by your computer and practice with setup and doing some sequencing for actual 2016 xmas decorating.

This would also allow you to get some "shared" sequencss from others and practice doing some copy/pasting from those shared sequences, into your sequences.

• Like 1

Damn I see a lot of potential with that house. Lots of good roof line. Some really nice columns to play with. Not to mention those railings that are just begging for some lights. And all those windows. Dude you're in trouble you're about to go down a really slippery slope. But it's fun.

You can do 2015.

If you buy your sequences you can easily do it.

I have about 5 sequences for Christmas that work with my final setup. I can get a sequence done in a day so I will try to add one every day in December.

Maybe you could start getting your lights up this week and you will just have to hook them up when your controller(s) arrive.

Damn I see a lot of potential with that house. Lots of good roof line. Some really nice columns to play with. Not to mention those railings that are just begging for some lights. And all those windows. Dude you're in trouble you're about to go down a really slippery slope. But it's fun.

What about that "Mega tree" on the front lawn ( just a bit to the right)

No I go to the left so you don't block the view of the house. And it's got to be at least be 30 feet minimum. Have it set back a little bit so there's lots of room for leaping arches mini trees and all kinds of other fun stuff

Even with bought or shared sequences you're going to have to redo many of them to fit your theme{display}.   And not knowing the software is really going to slow you down even more.

2015 is doable, but don't expect too much out of it, 2016 would be much better and as you learn the software and how to manipulate others sequences by copying and pasting into your own, you'll get a better handle on it for 2016.   Like said 2015 is doable, but don't expect too much for this year, you're getting into it just a tad too late to do a great show, but you could pull off something for 2015.

This all takes a lot of time and patience, and unfortunately for 2015 that time is really short coming into it this late in the year to start for Christmas 2015.

I truly appreciate the responses and support guys and gals.

Yes, being a total novice at this...and reading your comments, I do feel I should wait until next year.  It's getting below freezing here now and I have quite a bit going on to where without a quick setup, I'd more than likely just frustrate myself to no end in making this happen.

I also own my own mobile Disc Jockey company and hell...I have enough trouble trying to learn DMX.   :P

I would definitely rely on some pre-designed sequences...me and creativity just don't get along.

Waiting for prices to come down a bit during off season would be a nice benefit for me seeing how I can wait on this.

Again, thank you all so much for your responses.   :)

@robongar  That tree would be perfect for a Charlie Brown Christmas sequence!  ;-)

- I'm planning it out in my head already....

What about that "Mega tree" on the front lawn ( just a bit to the right)

you know I didn't even catch that at first. But now I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first year, so take this with a (million) grain(s) of salt!

I ordered in mid November thinking I had Thanksgiving week off, which didn't occur.

I would order the ShowTime Central Starter Package and add on the Plug-n-Show card, the 500 ft roll of SPT-2 wire and 2 10 packs of each (male/female) plug ends.

Your house looks almost exactly like the house in the Plug-n-show premade sequences.  The SPT-2 wire and plugs I have to say is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I think this would be manageable this year.

Unfortunately(?)  I added the RGB ribbons (24) and CMB-24Ds (3)  and that added to the time and complexity immensely (at least for a newbie with limited time).

Good Luck...and they are right...very slippery slope here!