Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting CG-1500

FirstClassPro

On the CTB16PC-G3 as well as the CableGuard CG-1500 (For my CMB24D and power supply), I am using the punch-outs for pipe clamps to attach to my mega tree pole.

I am wondering who else is using pipe clamps to attach their controllers to a pipe or something and should I seal the holes with silicone or anything else to keep water out of the enclosure during a good rain?

Thanks,

Aaron

Bear in mind that if you seal it up too tightly, there will possibly be too little airflow to keep the electronics cool.

This is just my gut feelings about it and so far I have not had a troubles. The holes are to small for rain to come in with any wind blowing it in. And water usually will flow across a surface than blow across a gap. And if you are using a CG-1500 box. Then you are mounting your controller on those [Foul Language Used] inside of the box, leaving an air gap behind the board. So the water more than likely will be flowing across the back wall of the box.

I have 3 boxes mounted to my mega tree pole. I have two boxes on the same hose clamps and one box on its own hose clamps. And have one box that has a small cable running around a pine tree and going into the hose clamp holes. Its just for this year. holes are no larger than the small cable, then crimped to keep the cable tight around tree bark.

So far so good. Even had a major storm pass through the past two days.

This is just my gut feelings about it and so far I have not had a troubles. The holes are to small for rain to come in with any wind blowing it in. And water usually will flow across a surface than blow across a gap. And if you are using a CG-1500 box. Then you are mounting your controller on those [Foul Language Used] inside of the box, leaving an air gap behind the board. So the water more than likely will be flowing across the back wall of the box.

I have 3 boxes mounted to my mega tree pole. I have two boxes on the same hose clamps and one box on its own hose clamps. And have one box that has a small cable running around a pine tree and going into the hose clamp holes. Its just for this year. holes are no larger than the small cable, then crimped to keep the cable tight around tree bark.

So far so good. Even had a major storm pass through the past two days.

I agree with max. I just use big zip ties and no sealer either. My weather is pretty mild, but we get the occassional storm, no issues yet.

Ha ha, no foul lanuage used. Seems that the software does not like calling those things in the box the thing on top of a mammary. Dont know of any other way to say it, a T*I*T# is just that. Or a N*I*P*P*L*E that you screw the board down to.

Ha ha, no foul lanuage used. Seems that the software does not like calling those things in the box the thing on top of a mammary. Dont know of any other way to say it, a T*I*T# is just that. Or a N*I*P*P*L*E that you screw the board down to.

Actually no, in the electronics industry we always called these supports "stand offs", these are what keeps PC Boards directly off the back of a box or allowing the stacking of multi-level boards, allowing air flow around them to keep them cool.

The only hole I seal in my controllers are where the cat5 cables enter them, and I use the foam insulation{pipe covering} to keep critters like insects and lizards from getting into the controller.   Just stuffed around the cables, easy to remove or replace when it gets worn or need to remove or change out a cat5 cable.

Other than that, my controllers aren't sealed in any other manner and they are out in the weather, plugged in and on 24/7/365.    Oh, I do cap off the dangles with those electrical outlet child proof caps during times those channels are not in use.   Also use them on all female/male pass though and female end of strand lights to help keep things dry and less GFCI trips.

On the CTB16PC-G3 as well as the CableGuard CG-1500 (For my CMB24D and power supply), I am using the punch-outs for pipe clamps to attach to my mega tree pole.

I am wondering who else is using pipe clamps to attach their controllers to a pipe or something and should I seal the holes with silicone or anything else to keep water out of the enclosure during a good rain?

Thanks,

Aaron

I have been using hose clamps for a few years with no problems. Rain and snow weather conditions!  :)