Light-O-Rama Forums

Need to copy channel config- import wont work

lowepg

So, I've moved to a show that mixed with tradtional ac channels and pixel channels.

Here's my dillema:

I want to add in a few elements from my old show, but I've already spent hours working through the new configuration.

If I try to use "import" -  the channel config from the old sequence, its screws up all my existing channels.

Example: I'm trying to import about 72 channels into my 1000+ (mostly rgb pixels) conguration.

How can I do this?

There is no easy way to merge two configurations.  In your case, take one of your 1,000+ channel sequences and add the 72 channels to it, being careful to add the channels to the END of the first track.  Assuming you use track 1 as a master track and track 2 (or higher) as a working track, you can copy those channels from track 1 to the working track and arrange them in whatever arrangement makes sense.  After those 72 channels are set up right, you can export that configuration and then then import that saved configuration to your other 1,000+ sequences.

BTW, if you are not using a master track and one or more working tracks, this would be a fine time to start.

(Guiltily) I am NOT using tracks :-(

So I barely understood your suggestion :-) - time to read up in between sequencing, soldering pixels to pigtails and pushing bullet nodes into coro :-)

If nothing else, a master and working will make many things easier when it's time to add stuff later on. Last year, I had (are you ready for this) 17 tracks. Because of some improvements with S4, that number is lower this year.

BTW there is a good piece on this concept of that George (I think) did, but it's too hard to find on my phone. If you don't find it, I'll dig it up when I'm on a computer.

using tracks is an easy way to organize your sequences

one way(there are lots of others)  this is a simplified version; there are lots of other steps

create sequence with standard lor controllers(no dmx)

break into tracks as necessary;  porch, yard, roof, et

create NEW dmx/rgb sequence with SuperStar

export to new lor sequence/lms file

go to original lor sequence

create a new track , name it say Yard dmx/rgb

in that track,  click on top channel, and click to "add new device", dmx, etc to original lor sequence

manually configure your universe(s), channels, etc

then, go back to superstar lms export

copy/paste the  superstar exported dmx sequence into the original lor sequence, new dmx track

If you understand the xml file format you CAN merge two configurations, but one little mistake and it does not work.  A task only left to geeks - and if you try it, make darn sure you have backups of every file.

Otherwise there is no way to merge two configurations that I know of.

If you add new channels ONLY to the bottom of your existing channel list, you can easily import that configuration into existing sequences.

If you're moving existing channels around, or inserting channels into the middle of an existing configuration, you have no choice but to do it manually in each and every sequence.

If you add new channels ONLY to the bottom of your existing channel list, you can easily import that configuration into existing sequences.

If you're moving existing channels around, or inserting channels into the middle of an existing configuration, you have no choice but to do it manually in each and every sequence.

now you tell me! :)

If your organized and set everything up correctly the first time, then , all you have to do is add the new stuff to the end

If you're like me(not organized), you have to do it allllllll manually.  I'm already redoing all my config for next year so I won't have to keep repeating the same mistakes

Just did this with this years Christmas {2015} Sequences, changed everything around to a new channel config, so new sequence created, then copy and paste from the original sequence to the "NEW" 2015 sequence.    All having to be done manually.    Like you found out, if you just import the new channel config file, it will screw up everything in the new sequence.

But if you add them to the end as others have said, then you can import the new channel config and then move the "NEW" channels where you want or need them in the sequence.

But if you add them to the end as others have said, then you can import the new channel config and then move the "NEW" channels where you want or need them in the sequence.

And then doesn't that just put you back in the same place NEXT year - after once again doing it manually THIS year?

You're missing the point Orv. The whole idea is to make it so you NEVER need to update a config manually, and so that you NEVER need to waste time cleaning up errors and messes. If you want to move things around, then copy those channels from your Master track to another one (located BELOW the Master track) and create any and all groups you want. Just LEAVE THE CHANNELS IN THE MASTER TRACK ALONE! FOREVER!

Edited by George Simmons

Maybe George, but I do what works for me, and I don't spend hours on hours moving things around either.   I just changed a few things here and there, re-save the new channel config and use it in a new sequence, then copy and paste from an old sequence.   It doesn't take me that long to do it this way.

I changed my display around and this year I had to move controllers around to make things work, so I had a little more work in re-setting everything up, but still only took me just a few hours to do the conversion once I knew where everything was going.

Hopefully next year everything will be the same, but I really doubt it.   What fun would that be if I didn't have to manually configure a few things here and there?

Edited by Orville