Light-O-Rama Forums

Scheduler actually handles that?

scubanimal

Not sure if I need to start a new thread, but I'm confused now.  At this point I have not yet created a show or done a schedule.  I'm just doing sequences; but I had just assumed (and hence want to verify) that when I schedule my shows that they would run and at the conclusion (assuming I do a clean up) then would remain off until the next scheduled show.  So I was thinking I did not need to put timers on the controllers as the scheduler actually handles that.   

Again I've not opened up the scheduler yet.   Are my assumptions wrong...?

Thank you,

No, you are right. Sort of :)

Show scheduler turns off all the lights. However power is still going to all your stuff, controllers, etc. Luckily I have all my outdoor power on 4 switches on my house panel so before bed I just have to go flip the switches.

And it is OK to power down your computer as long as you have control panel set to open when you power on next day.

Mine is wired (120v power) through a simple plug in timer. Set the timer to turn on a few minutes before you show start time and to shut off a few minutes after your show stop time. Works fine.

Another option is to leave everything powered.  The scheduler will shutdown the lights. 

Once I start setting up my controllers network it remains up until the end of the season.

My Christmas only stuff is powered 24x7 from the time it is installed until it is taken down in January.  The year round landscaping stuff is powered 24x7x365.  My show computer currently runs 24x7x375, however one of my plans for next year it so run some cables so I can run the landscaping show off the server.  For the major shows I would still use a dedicated computer.

Both the landscaping show and the various holiday shows use the show computer to run so I'm not using a director (I can't for several reasons).

Under normal conditions a show will turn off the lights at the end of a show, however you CAN have it leave lights on if desired.  In either case, if the source of LOR data goes away (such as powering off the director), the lights will go off.

Thank you.

A related question, so do you set your computer to never shutdown (powersavings)?     So while I can do a screensaver,  do I need to change the powersaving mode so it never shuts down?     I'm trying to make it so I don't have to daily turn on or off, just let it run as if it was on a timer.     

I can try that 'kill-a-watt' when the show is off to see if there is any power usage when the show is off, to see if I need to put the controllers on a timer as well.

Your computer shouldn't shut down without a reason. It might go to sleep but it shouldn't shut down.

I leave mine on 24/7 and never touch it. it goes to the screen saver then the screen goes dark but LOR is always sitting there waiting for the next show. So the computer does not shut down.

The show scheduler will wake my computer and run the show while I'm gone ? Anything we should know about settings on computer for running shows ? I take it that I can't use computer for anything else while show is running such as browse Internet or work on sequences because show is running ? This is my first year also and plan on setting all this part up this weekend. Thanks for any input.

Yes, it should. 

Turn off the default sounds for your computer. You know, the sounds like clicking, pop-ups.

You cannot run sequence editor while LOR scheduler is active. I would not use internet while the show is running.

I don't even have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse on my show computer. It is accessed exclusively with a remote control program called RealVNC. Since I have to have another computer on to remote into it, there is little reason to surf the internet on it, except to get stuff specifically for that computer. For example a couple weeks ago I remoted into it and went to the Zara Radio web site so I could download Zara Radio - which I'm using this year during non show hours.

As S.H. said, make sure you turn off all the normal "Windows" sounds. Since I don't have a monitor on it, I don't have it run the screen saver.

The scheduler will not boot your computer if it's turned off, but I recall it will wake it up if asleep (test that before you go live). I don't believe it will wake it up from hibernation.

I have my show computer do a scheduled re-boot about an hour before showtime, but I may change that a bit because of using Zara Radio.

+1 on the never turning anything off.  Once I power all my stuff up I don't flip the "off" switch until I take it down.  Adding timers is just one more thing that can go wrong!

I power the controllers up in Nov and power them down after Jan first.

I also disable any/all power saving options, as well as the internet connection while the show runs.

Thanks everyone. Will get this part all set up this weekend for some trial runs . Will definately look at getting another pc or laptop just for the display next year . Got smartphones now so can use them if I need to access internet . Getting really excited to see the whole show run . Have just seen parts of different sequences making sure all the lights are working.

I leave my controllers on 24/7 except in thunderstorms. The computer gets shut off each night at the end of the show. Some OS's, will slow down if not rebooted from time to time such as XP. Before the show begins, I disconnect from the internet and I disable the antivirus software so that nothing gets in the way of the show. All power saving is turned off, no sleep mode, display doesn't shut off and similar. Boot up the next afternoon and start over again. The scheduler will allow you to set the days of the week, start times and end times. At the end time, it will do a soft shutdown therefore whatever song is playing, will finish and then shut down. I suggest a "End" sequence which turns off all channels or sets whatever you wish during the night. The scheduler only runs the show. The show editor allows you to create the sequence of play, optional commands, play sequence of animation or musical sequences, delays between sequences and so on. You save the show as a name. Back to the scheduler, you schedule that show name to run when you desire.

Great explanation. Thank you. Doing a couple trial runs the next couple days. Will set this part up this evening .Don't want any surprises come Friday .