Light-O-Rama Forums

Dealing with freezing rain and ice

seriouslylosingit

Last night, it was 31° outside and raining this slushy type of rain. I started looking at some of the LED light strings and they were picking up a coating of ice. Also, some of my wooden decorations and cord connections appear to be affected as well.

I know you can't fight mother nature, but is there any way to prevent shorts and ice build up? I think if it would have frozen hard last night, I would've been totally screwed.

Thanks

R

Move?

It has been bitter cold here the last couple nights - got down to the mid 40s.

I will likely get rain, but no white stuff, so you're going to get serious answers from someone else.

Edited by k6ccc

Move?It has been bitter cold here the last couple nights - got down to the mid 40s.I will likely get rain, but no white stuff, so you're going to get serious answers from someone else.

I was thinking I could just buy a really gigantic terrarium and set it up around my house. Or invent a clear dome that would keep all of the weather out. It would be like I lived in a giant snow globe!!!! That is my "serious" response to that.... LOL.... And for your information, I don't know where you live, but 40 is not bitterly cold. 40 below, maybe:)

• Like 2

LOL love the bit about -40 good comeback. I remember years ago John Denver did a special where they did erect a huge geo-dome and heated it up and brought a section of the forest into spring time conditions.

Ice can be a problem but it doesn't effect my show when frozen. It's when it's melting that it starts to cause issues.

DSC05260_zpsollvfarc.jpg

DSC05264_zpss4gbzxyy.jpg

DSC05228_zpscf632365.jpg

DSC05265_zpspbheuoc6.jpg

DSC05267_zpsizkryc1a.jpg

DSC05279_zpssdw6kngd.jpg

The ice won't hurt you... generally.  The lights actually take on a cool look when covered in ice!!!!  As far as melting... as long as you set your show up well, electric connections off the ground etc. you should not have a problem.  No different than rain.

Just make sure things are strong enough to handle the extra weight of ice or snow. But keep in mind things are going to happen and every time it does you'll be smarter for the next time around. To add then you post here to help make us smarter

Edited by Ebuechner