Light-O-Rama Forums

How are folks getting power to their controllers?

scubanimal

Hello All,

I'm just a newbie starting with 32 channels, which means I need power from 4 independent circuits; and trying to figure out how I was going to accomplish that, and have the controllers in a reasonable location, preferably together.  I see some folks have many controllers and thought I would ask how folks are typically getting power to their controllers?     I'm sure really serious homes have dedicated power runs added, but how about the rest?

Thanks,

John

For me, being 100% LED  I could just use one outlet but am currently using two and using extension cords to reach my controllers, which I try to keep close to the items they control.

Edited by worksopian

The bigger question is how much power are you using?

Doesn't matter how you plug it in if it is all pulled off the same circuit and you are under the load requirements.  LED shouldn't cause any issues with the 32 channels that you are using.

I am 95% LED and with (3) dumb RGB controllers. I use one outlet in garage and extension cords to reach my (9) controllers. I am also powering my G3MP3, FM transmitter, amplifier and tune in sign on the same circuit. All controllers are located as close to the props as possible.

All this on one outlet. LEDs. :)

Over 20,000 LEDs of R, W, B & G in the mega tree alone. Icicles are R, W, B & G as well. Then 30 10W RGB LED floods. About 50 strobes and LEDs in the mini trees.

IMG_3263_zps63168b64.jpg

Get yourself a Kill-A-Watt meter and measure how much power your lights are pulling. With only four controllers and depending on the type of lights you are using you're probably going to be safe on one circuit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

The two plugs on your controllers each power half the controller; one does 1-8, the other 9-16.  Unless each half is drawing so much you can't put them in the same plug you don't need four dedicated circuits.  As was said above, get a kill-o-watt meter.  They are cheap and will tell you how much your lights are pulling.  That will tell you how many circuits you really need.

I'm all LEDs so I removed the extra cord from all of my controllers. I'm using two 20 amp circuits.( I do plan on going bigger)

Thank you all for your input, I had just assumed I had to have 4 independent circuits (Don't' know enough yet to not follow the recommended configuration).   I'll order one of those meters.   

I am running 5 controllers off of one circuit. My show is 100% LED, I lost count at 100,000 lights. The show hasn't gone live yet, so who knows I might be blowing breakers left and right. I have more power available, so if I need to start splitting things up I can.

Z

Aaaaaaa that clears things up. How much is blinker fluid? And will they sell it by the pint or do I have to buy it by the gallon?

It's free if you can catch an Elf. Just hit'em where it counts. Collect it's tears in a dropper. They work like magic ;-)

Edited by BMurray

You don't really need to run two circuits per box. Use one with an adapter. I don't keep my boxes together because of the cost of building extension cords.

Because I run a year round landscape lighting show, I'm a bit unusual. And I'm gonna be long winded because I'm waiting for someone to get some work done and I'm BORED!

I have a 20A circuit in one of the peaks in my garage. That feeds the two 16 channel AC controllers of which only 4 channels are used year round with an additional 6 channels of 200 LED mini-lights each used for Christmas. Also on that circuit is a 12V DC power supply that powers a SanDevices E6804 that has about 35 feet of RGB strip on it. For Christmas the 5V 70A power supply for the Pixel tree and another one of those for 214 GE Color Effects lights are on that circuit. Lastly that circuit powers the audio amplifiers for my front yard speakers. This circuit is permanently installed with Romex in my attic.

In the front yard is a brick column that has the 12V 29A power supply for most of the year round yard lights. Once the landscape project is completed, there will be a second power supply. When I built that column, I pulled in two 20A circuits (not that I need that much power, but figured I might as well). For Christmas this year, the only thing added to that circuit is my FM transmitter. These two circuits are permanently installed in conduit under the front yard.

Also part of the landscape project was to add two duplex outlets in two locations in the front yard on their own 20A circuit. For Christmas I plug in my three CCP controllers into one of those outlets. I built a custom extension cord using SPT-1 that plugs into the outlet and has three outlets for the three CCP controllers. For next year, I expect to plug the Pixel tree into that outlet as well. This is because with planned expansion of the tree and star, (and moving the power supplies for the tree), the attic circuit will be pretty heavily loaded. This circuit is all permanently installed in conduit under the front yard.

So in summary, the only things I add for Christmas that requires AC wiring is the CCPs that run in about a 40 foot run of SPT-1 that is staked to the grass using tent stakes. The Pixel tree power supply has about 15 feet of power cord that lays on the lower eve where it runs through an conduit pass through into the attic and plugs in.

There are photos of some of that on my website.