Light-O-Rama Forums

Shortening cat 5 cable

seriouslylosingit

Maybe I am in the wrong forum or maybe this has been covered before, but is there a way to shorten a cat 5 cable.  I am finding that I have only 15-20 feet between my controllers and I have A LOT of extra cable I am trying to hide. 

Any thoughts, suggestions, or youtube tutorial videos appreciated.

Thanks

R

If you can put the connectors on yourself, you can make any length you want. With one exception, I buy 1,000 foot boxes of bulk cable make all my own cables. I stock Cat-5 in Yellow, Purple, Green, and Blue, and Cat-6 in Orange. I have bought a few cables where I needed just one or two in yet another color.

Don't you need a cat5 cripper to do it.  For no more than cables cost on EBAY, I'd just buy  the length(s) you need.  I went from 2 to 5 controllers this year and just bought a bunch of  varying shorter length.  Cat5 is Cat5 so you don't need to spend very much for them.

you can make the calble any length you want just make sure you follow the right color code to pins for data cables, can find it with google and most time listed with crimper tool set.  You can also buy of the testers for cat-5 data at Lowes or HomeDepot.  Know that Habor Fright has them for around $20.00 and they will sure save you a lot of trouble.  Most of the time when controllers act up of lights not coming on and off as plained its data cable problems.  Take the time to learn how to wire and test them and you will be a lot happier. 

If your gonna look at making them your self i recommend the "cat5 EZ" crimpers and ends. Makes the whole thing 100x times easier. Go for it....I do it all day long. Super simple

Edited by KSlush

I wouldn't worry about it.  Just coil the extra by one of the controllers and zip tie it.

Yup to this. LOR can handle so much distance who cares. As I type I am looking at 20 extra feet coiled at my show computer, at the other end next to controller is about 30 extra feet coiled and tied.

For custom length's I found it just as cheap and way easy to buy from MOnoPrice. Almost any color, any length, next day shipping.

ShowMe cables  has a wide selection of cat 5 cables.  They will even make custom cables.  They also have crimping tools, ends, Cat 5 wire etc...

Jerry

IMO, next to soldering, making your own comm cables is one of the best DIY things you can learn for this hobby. A roll of cable, some plugs and a crimping tool will set you free! All-in-all, it takes about ten minutes to learn how to make your own.

• Like 1

Soldering Cat 5 wire? Why on earth would you be soldering Cat 5 wire? And what does this have to do with the content of this discussion?

EZ connectors is for wimps. And a good Ethernet wire tester is a good tool to have for this hobby.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I would really like to find white cable. With the snow, I think it would be awesome to hide stuff a little more.

I'm struggling with cable length because of a move to a much smaller yard....now I have a bunch of extra stuff and cables to deal with:)

Thanks so much everyone!!

Soldering Cat 5 wire? Why on earth would you be soldering Cat 5 wire? And what does this have to do with the content of this discussion?

EZ connectors is for wimps. And a good Ethernet wire tester is a good tool to have for this hobby.

Max-Paul - Why do you always have to belittle people in your responses. Your first question is a statement. The answer to your second question is "to shorten it." The answer to your third question is "because the OP asked how to shorten category 5 cable."

To the OP... Don't solder CAT5 cable. My company has been running LV for almost 15 years. You can buy a pair of crimpers and some RJ45 plugs at Home Depot, or you can order some online. T568B is typically the wiring standard you see out in the field.  I'll post pinout in a minute.

What Max-Paul failed to mention is that there are different RJ45 plugs for stranded versus solid-core cabling. Don't go hacking up your pre-made cabling unless you're sure you have the proper plugs. Even then, I'd just recommend you go grab some solid-core riser and create some custom cables yourself. Trying to shorten a pre-made stranded cable with RJ45 plugs design for solid-core cabling will drive you nuts.

EZ Connectors aren't for wimps - I just feel like, in the long run, you'll get your money's worth picking up a set of crimpers and some riser cable if you decide to stick with this hobby.

Max-Paul - it could be argued that using LOR controllers is for wimps. I use S4 to sequence, but I built every DMX controller board I use in my show from the component-level and have programming the PICs with custom firmware modified for my purposes... So give everyone a break.

Edited by jonsimp911
  • Like 1

.

Edited by jonsimp911

Max Paul, you're kind of an a$$.  Cheapest way to shorten Cat 5 cable is via soldering, zero money spent out of pocket...  

• Like 1

Boys, boys..... Am I going to have to separate you?? Lol!! We're all friends here. Everyone has their own ways and that is why these forums are so wonderful.. Something that may work for one of us might not work for others and vice versa.. It doesn't mean that other ways are wrong.

I often feel that being female puts me behind the curve on many of these things from the get go.. All of our backgrounds are different and we each have different strengths..

I keep looking to all of you for help and I have made it work for me time after time.. Thanks

Max-Paul - Why do you always have to belittle people in your responses. Your first question is a statement. The answer to your second question is "to shorten it." The answer to your third question is "because the OP asked how to shorten category 5 cable."

To the OP... Don't solder CAT5 cable. My company has been running LV for almost 15 years. You can buy a pair of crimpers and some RJ45 plugs at Home Depot, or you can order some online. T568B is typically the wiring standard you see out in the field. I'll post pinout in a minute.

What Max-Paul failed to mention is that there are different RJ45 plugs for stranded versus solid-core cabling. Don't go hacking up your pre-made cabling unless you're sure you have the proper plugs. Even then, I'd just recommend you go grab some solid-core riser and create some custom cables yourself. Trying to shorten a pre-made stranded cable with RJ45 plugs design for solid-core cabling will drive you nuts.

EZ Connectors aren't for wimps - I just feel like, in the long run, you'll get your money's worth picking up a set of crimpers and some riser cable if you decide to stick with this hobby.

Max-Paul - it could be argued that using LOR controllers is for wimps. I use S4 to sequence, but I built every DMX controller board I use in my show from the component-level and have programming the PICs with custom firmware modified for my purposes... So give everyone a break.

I agree. But he's one of those people who knows everything already just ask him.