Light-O-Rama Forums

Cableguard outdoor enclosure Temp

NEWTOUR

I was curious if anyone has put an E682 and two 12V 350W power supplies in the same CG1500 enclosure. Am I going to have too much heat? I  only plan on running it on Halloween  and CHRISTmas. So it should be below 50 at all times outside. I live in the Midwest so you never really know when winter will hit hard. I don't want to damage any of my equipment. Obviously I will monitor, just wanted to see if anyone has already tried it. Thanks

Heat is definitely going to be the biggest issue. You're going to need, at the very least, to have some forced air flow. Passive ventilation isn't going to be enough.

I agree. The power supplies generate a large amount of heat. No matter what the outside temp is, you need a forced way to get rid of the heat or you will burn up a powersupply. Passive measures won't work. I burned up a supply finding this out the hard way. I tried two small computer fans and that really did not work either. I finally left the top off of the inclosure and built a small "dog house" over the electronics with vents in it. That kept the weather off of the electronics and allowed air to flow.

I use a hole saw and put in a 2 inch round hole in the back then I install a vent that you can get at the hardware store. Then I drill another hole in the front directly across from the power supply fan and install a vent there. After I silicone the vents in place I use a piece of shop vac hose inside on the front vent . I cut the hose to just the right length to just touch the power supply with the door closed. Now when the power supply fan comes on it can push the air straight out and get fresh air from the back side.