Light-O-Rama Forums

Another display bites the dust

Bizywk

A moment of silence for yet another display destroyed by success.     I was hoping to see this one this year. I heard that it was very good.

http://fox59.com/2015/11/12/well-known-holiday-light-show-creates-christmas-controversy-in-hamilton-county/

https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasOnVictory/timeline

I didn't see too many cars parked in front of the house during the news clip.  Sad to see it get to this point.

Main point from the story is to keep neighbors in the loop on what you are doing, if it gets out of control, cut the show early and run a static set of lights for a couple of days. People won't park and watch a static light show very long.

Doesn't hurt to add PSA to your show and remind the viewers to move along if traffic starts to back-up.

I didn't see too many cars parked in front of the house during the news clip.  Sad to see it get to this point.

Main point from the story is to keep neighbors in the loop on what you are doing, if it gets out of control, cut the show early and run a static set of lights for a couple of days. People won't park and watch a static light show very long.

Doesn't hurt to add PSA to your show and remind the viewers to move along if traffic starts to back-up.

Yep. Fill in the neighbors and control the crowd. The PSA's are a good idea. I've had a live mic set up in the past so I could simply mute the song playing, and announce that parking <where ever> wasn't permitted and people need to move. Do everything you can to control crowds. May not hurt to get out each night and pick up trash as well. 

Never thought of having a live mic.   Very clever.

That's precisely the reason I'm such a big fan of the CZH-05B transmitter. It has a dedicated mic input. I'm like Don - I have a mic plugged in all the time so I can use it whenever needed. All I have to do is turn one knob down and one up and I'm good to go. It's amazing how quickly people bring themselves into compliance when you stop the music and call them out.

Yet another HOA destroys something good in this world. HOA's should be done away with.

I couldn't agree more!    Sometimes they aren't too bad, but mostly, and I hate to say it, they are overbearing and over-demanding on homeowners.   Thank the stars where I live we don't have one of these Gestapo Mad HOA's telling us how we can decorate or what we can do to our "OWN" home!

I've recorded an announcement that starts before the show to ask people to be considerate of our neighbors and consider driving on if traffic behind them becomes an issue.  However, having a live mic is a good idea as well!

I've recorded an announcement that starts before the show to ask people to be considerate of our neighbors and consider driving on if traffic behind them becomes an issue.  However, having a live mic is a good idea as well!

You're going to find that running that announcement before the show begins will have an effect on only those who hear it at that time. The buffoon who comes along in his diesel quad cab pickup and pulls over to park and leaves his clackety, rattling engine running and his headlights blaring into people's windshields isn't going to be affected by an announceent that ran five minutes before he got there.

I run a headlight reminder after every other song. And sometimes even that isn't often enough.

Yeah, I did think about running it more often, but since my show is only 13 minutes long, I figured there was no need.  Maybe I'll put another one at the halfway mark.

We don't have a HOA in our neighborhood.  Sometimes I wish we did.

I had neighbors behind me that were terrible.  Junk all over the back yard, didn't mow the lawn, when they did, they didn't trim.  Most of the neighborhood referred to them as the hoosiers.  Some of the neighbors went to a city council meeting to complain about the eyesore and were told there is nothing they could do about it.  A HOA would have put a stop to that.  So I guess a HOA is a two-edged sword.

Thank God they finally moved.  The new neighbors are great.  Oddly enough, now the city is forcing them to do all sorts of things to the property before allowing them to move in.  Stuff they never made the hoosiers do.

Jerry

Edited by LORisAwesome

I do know what you mean Jerry.   There are good ones and there are bad ones, and it's nice when you find one that's about middle of the road that listens to the homeowners and not just makes and does things because the HOA president is power mad. LOL

I lived in two neighborhoods that had them, the first one wasn't that bad, but the second one I could have definitely done without, rules were so strict and stringent, you felt like you were in prison.  I mean the second one got so ridiculous that if you wanted to re-landscape your yard by digging up and moving plants/trees around or you needed to "thin" plants that were sprouting offspring, you weren't allowed to do any of that WITHOUT getting the HOA's permission and then they had to have a vote on it to see if the homeowner would be allowed to move or thin their plants.   Now that was just so ridiculous and is why we moved from that neighborhood.

Rules are great when they are fair and just, but far too often too many HOA's go far too overboard when creating or making them.

Orville - it's only our first year doing a show!  And our street is HEAVILY travelled and very narrow, so I don't want to cause problems.  Doing a 13 minute show will allow me to gauge whether I can do a longer one next year or whether my HOA will shut me down before I even get started!

I do appreciate neighborhood concerns on high traffic and potential unruley visitors.  As already mention, there are strategoes on managing traffic/crowds.

Obviously, if a neighbor can get the attention of a HOA, you can never tell what the outcome will be, whether a real or preceive issue exist.

There is a trend in this county that the minority viewpoint supperceeds the majority viewpoint.  Don't want to get sued, hurt someone's feeling or make them uncomfortable.  One personb out of 100 complains and something gets baned or concelled.

13 minute long show?  Shoot, if I blink I'd miss the show! :P  j/k!

I had to drop mine to 10mins because of traffic.  This year I have also dropped it to 3 days a week during Dec only.  Next year I am dark... But watch out in 2017... ha ha..

Fortunately, I have a reasonably good relationship with our HOA.  I even emailed them last year to get permission about something I wanted to do in my yard for THIS year's Xmas decorations (they very quickly said yes, but then once I began investigating the cost to do it, I opted not to - but it's nice to know I CAN if I want to).  

But if I do end up with issues going forward, I'll definitely consider moving in a few years - to a bigger lot outside an HOA neighborhood!

like stated on the 13 minute show j/k = just kidding.    But nice to know some folks presently appear to have a nice HOA, but beware, even those nice ones can suddenly turn vile too.

Now I just need to figure out how I can build a small mega tree that can be mounted on the peak of my roof.   However, not sure I want the Jim S Winder method of mounting and installing mega trees on a roof top, since his seem to fall off the roof. :P  {Sorry Jim, couldn't resist}. ;):lol:

• The topic was locked