Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Tree Base

mcha

Does anyone use anything to isolate the galvanized tomato cages from the ground? I don't think there is an issue, but also don't like sticking electrical items on a metal frame and letting it sit out in the elements.

It seems that people have trouble with mini tree's popping the GFCI outlets.  Maybe insulating them from the ground would help with that....

i never had a problem yet for the last 4 years with the mini trees poping the gfi.

i leave the bottom section of the cage with no lights. that way snow never gets to the lights.

I heard some people use plastic tent steaks to get the cage off the ground, some i heard use

the plastic coating stuff.

i make sure your power cord is off the ground,hanging inside the mini tree, that's what i do.

the only problem I had with GFI is the candy canes. I learn to get the plug and cord zip tied up

on the candy cane a little higher not near the bottom were it sticks out.

I have the plug zip tied to the inside of the frame, hallway-up and not had any problems. But I am not looking for any either.  Thanks for the advice.

I have 5 mini trees, each with 600 mini incans.  The first year, every time it rained, they would repeatedly pop the GFCI.  I made some simple H-shaped 1/2" pvc frames just slightly larger than the base of the tomato cage.  I place the mini tree on the pvc frame and stake them with plastic tent stakes.  This will be my 4th year and I haven't had any problems with the GFCI since. 

I was just looking at getting rid of tomato cages this year. I found plastic Christmas tree bases that are 19" around, and have four screws for a center pole, which you can make any height.

Plastic-christmas-tree-stand.jpg

In Florida and for us it can rain, sometimes a lot. I just put the tomato cages on the ground, even use metal spikes to hold them down. Never had a problem. I don't use minis though. Have 5 strings of small LED's on each tree.

I am anal about wrapping all plugs in Elec Tape. and with 48 channels that can be a chore.

I built stands out of 2x4, painted them and then drilled holes in them. Now I just lay them out, level them and zip tie the trees to it. They go up quick, they're a little higher for better visibility and they're out of the snow. You can kind of make them out in this vid.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51zTYciqvYQ

This year I have replaced the ican light strands wrapped around the inverted tomato cages with strings of pixels.  I hope this stops the tripping of the GFICs.