Light-O-Rama Forums

Brand new...where to begin

Stima

Hey all, thanks for clicking! =)

As the topic states, I am brand new to LOR and "active" light displays.  That being said, there obviously are a billion questions one could ask.  Everyone has to start somewhere, so I really am just looking for some general ideas on how best to use the lights I have. 

What I have:

To put things in very basically...I have enough lights to do my roof line, windows, bushes and trees in RED, GREEN and WHITE.  I have a small amount of props (5 deer, 3 or 4 spiral trees and 20 or so candy canes. The deer\trees can also be done in the three colors.  Finally, I have a 16 strand mega tree I made last year. So nothing huge...10k lights or so...all incandescent.

So to limit my scope in this post, I'll ask two questions related to the canned sequences:

What are some basic ideas for using 3 colors instead of 1 (but not RGB)? 

Maybe I am better of not using the 2 extra colors to start since I am new?  I have no issue using the available canned sequences to start my adventure...but I am curious to know how well having 3 colors of lights would work (if at all).  Everything says to think in 4 groups of 4.  But I have 3 colors. 3=/=4 ><  Are there any suggestions for using 3 colors with the canned sequences?  I really don't think I have time to program anything new for this year...so I am pretty committed to using the pre-canned sequences.  If this means only using 1 color..then so be it.  I just need a bit of background to know how to proceed.

Can the sequences do 64 + 16?

I have enough power on the side of my house to do 5-16 channel controllers.  Any more, and I either need to replace my distribution box, or go to LED.  Neither is happening any time soon due to $$.  So given I can do 80 channels, I was looking at using 16 for the mega tree and 64 for all the other lights.  My question is, do those 64 channel sequences allow adding a 5th controller dedicated to a mega tree...and if they do...is there a pre-programmed sequence just for that tree that would mesh well with the other 64 channels? 

So that's all for now.  I have all my lights out and tested...and am putting them up this weekend.  I am probably a bit late to the show, but as I said, I am planning on using the pre-made sequences with the lights I have...so I am hopeful installation and debugging shouldn't take more than 3 weeks. =)

Thanks all for any ideas or thoughts!

-Dan

Noticed not much of a response to your question (not surprising given its November).  My advice would be to buy some 64 channel sequences from light o rama and change them to fit your display.  If you want to add a mega tree, I'd just have fun and try sequencing it yourself.  Its not too hard and you'll be fine doing it for a simple, 16 channel mega tree.  As to color choice, the simpler the better (ie all white, all red, all green on at a time).  I think having all three colors on at the same time in the same area of a display looks messy.  With that said, to add variety, you can use two colors at the same time so long as they are in different parts of your display (for example, all red mini trees in yard with house facade white or green).  Finally, the thing that REALLY makes a show is using chases.  As you expand your display, try to divide the display up into smaller "sections" that can be pulsed in a chase back and forth.  Victor Johnson, who has an INCREDIBLE ALL incan show using 300 plus channels is a MASTER at this.  Check out THIS show for inspiration...  Good luck...  ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFBsKrMoxXo