Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple Power Supplies

EmmienLightFan

To use multiple power supplies with my pixels I just connect the grounds and keep the +5V separate?

I just want to make sure as at the moment I am running 9 amps on a 3a max voltage regulator and all pixels are white.

If you are running a 9 amp load, I would just get a bigger power supply.  Easier than splitting strings to balance the load. 

To increase the current of the power supplies, connect them in series. So all the Positives together and all the grounds together.  Are you trying to inject power or increase the current across one string ? You need to make sure you don't overload your controller.

To increase the current of the power supplies, connect them in series. So all the Positives together and all the grounds together. Are you trying to inject power or increase the current across one string ? You need to make sure you don't overload your controller.

I'm sorry but that's not a recommended procedure. not all power supplies will play nice together. as was said before if you need more power you need a bigger power supply. Or you do multiple point power injection. The only thing that should be connected between the power supplies is the negative. I didn't want to step on your toes but that could let out the magic smoke.

Is it OK to connect the grounds of the power supplies together at my 5V power distribution box?

And my 150watt PSU has two V+s and two Gs. My new 200watt one that came yesterday has three of each. Are they all the same thing and connected together or are they separate?

Those power supplies that have multiple connections wires or screw terminals have the power coming from the same source in the power supply. So it is okay to hook those wires together. You can connect the negative between the power supplies. Just don't hook up the positives between power supplies. If you do a search on the forum for power injection some people have some good schematics. That should give you a clear picture of what can and can't be done

Here is a couple of drawing I did on how I inject power. 

Is it OK to connect the grounds of the power supplies together at my 5V power distribution box?

And my 150watt PSU has two V+s and two Gs. My new 200watt one that came yesterday has three of each. Are they all the same thing and connected together or are they separate?

Unless you ordered a special power supply they are the same thing. 

To increase the current of the power supplies, connect them in series. So all the Positives together and all the grounds together.  Are you trying to inject power or increase the current across one string ? You need to make sure you don't overload your controller.

To clarify. When you connect something in series it would be to take pos of 1st supply to the load. Then connecting the neg to the pos of second P.S. and the neg of second P.S. to the load. When you connect all of the pos together and all of the neg together. You just wired them in parallel.

Of course this is coming from a Know it all.

Ok. Thank you all for helping.

All my power supplies have little screwdriver twisty things labelled as ADJ. Is this used to adjust the voltage?

Ok. Thank you all for helping.

All my power supplies have little screwdriver twisty things labelled as ADJ. Is this used to adjust the voltage?

Yes

How much can I adjust the voltage? I want to reduce the voltage of my 30v DC 150 watt power supply to about 27 volts because the resistors are getting very hot on my lights.

Most of those power supplies clockwise increases the voltage counterclockwise decreases the voltage. You would need a voltmeter hooked up while you're adjusting until you get the voltage you want. the range that you can adjust the voltage is going to depend on the power supply

A question. In your original post you were talking about 5 volts. Now you're talking about 30 volts 150 watt power supply. There's a few things here that don't add up. And you also mentioned 3 watt maximum voltage regulator.

I'm sorry but that's not a recommended procedure. not all power supplies will play nice together. as was said before if you need more power you need a bigger power supply. Or you do multiple point power injection. The only thing that should be connected between the power supplies is the negative. I didn't want to step on your toes but that could let out the magic smoke.

No your defiantly right about that. Actually when I wrote this I was thinking about battery rules. I think power injection is really the way to go with pixel strips.