Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB color fade suddenly acting like fill tool?

EvilM0nkey

I'm doing some last minute sequencing and I have hit a show stopping problem. Every time I try to add a color fade to either RGB channel the color fade acts like the fill tool and will put the color from the point I have selected to the end of the sequence. If I click the edit menu it will list "Undo Fill" even though I wasn't using the fill tool.

If I use the "O" key it works normally. if I click with color fade selected it acts like the fill tool with the color I select. If I use the actual fill tool it works normally.

I have restarted the sequence editor and the computer. It was acting normal for the first 1/4 of the sequence.

make sure you are not selecting one cell (if you want one cell  select more than one cell then shorten selection to one cell)

This is the way it's supposed to behave.  It's strange and surprising if you don't know about it, but once you understand what it's doing, it's (hopefully) useful.  It's almost like jerrymac describes, but not exactly:

The Color Fade tool, and also the Intelligent Fade tool, behave differently based on how you use your mouse.  Let's say you've got the Color Fade tool set up to go from red (on the left) to green (on the right).  Then if you:

• Click and drag from left to right, you'll get red on the left and green on the right.
  • Click and drag from right to left, you'll get green on the left and red on the right.
  • Click without dragging, in a spot that is completely off, it will act as the Fade tool.
  • Click without dragging, in a spot that is not completely off, nothing will happen.

The one minor difference between what jerrymac described and the way it really works is that it doesn't matter if you select a single cell or not - what matters is if you click and drag or not.  So for example you could make "red on the left to green on the right" in a single cell by clicking and dragging to the right within that single cell.

• 3 weeks later...

I did figure it out. However that's not how I would like it to act. What I was doing is inputting solid colors to each cell, so what I had to do was put the colors into two cells and then move one cell to the right and go again.

It would be neat if there were a tool somewhere between superstar and the standard sequencer for the RGB flood lights. I like them a lot and think they have a lot of potential for use.