Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie question-

krash.landing4@gmail.com

What are typical lengths of a "Show"?  

We are putting the final touches of on it now... I don't want to run the same show on a loop - but at the same time - being a first timer - in a small town I imagine word will spread fast -  I would hate to have people come by to see it and not have it running?  

Do you post times outside?  I have seen some people put a charity donation of some sort out- I thought about canned goods for the local food bank -  does the public respond to that?  

I read a coupe of articles about having an intro - and a closing - and animated light sequences different from "the Show"  

Just looking for some input!

Thanks!

DK

Most visitors in my experience, stay only for a osng or two. So looping 10-15 songs really doesn't matter. IMO, better to concentrate on making fewer really good sequences than a bunch of weak ones, just to fill in a 2-3 hours show.

If you only have an occasional car, don't know that there's much merit in an opening/closing seqquence, since noboby may even see it. If you have a number of people lined up waiting for the show to start, then an intro might be cool.

Posting times and having intro/closing might be more useful if you have considerable traffic.

I start both my halloween and christmas shows a little after dusk with no times posted. So it's not like any visitors are waiting around for an     hour or more of darkness, wondering where the lights are.  I do run the show an extra hour on Fridays/Saturdays.

As I start to get more traffic, might add some show times.

I'm a newbie in a small town. I live about 10-15 minutes from downtown proper, so my show will be a destination trip. I have zero experience in what the traffic will be like as it is my first year. I decided to make my show about 20 minutes long with an opening and a closing. I have it set to run every half hour with a small static display in between shows. The closing basically says the show is over please make room for others to enjoy it. I will post how it goes once I have more data to go on.

Z

We've been cutting back on the number of songs so traffic moves and people don't have to wait too unreasonaly long before they see the blinky-flashy.  We used to have dozens of songs (50+ for a couple of years) but not any longer.  Our viewers tend to stay for quite a few songs - probably half or more stay for the entire playlist. 

Our playlists loop continuously.  I'm guessing somewhere over 99% of all visitors wouldn't know or even think about checking for a schedule.  They either see lights or they keep going.  I agree with previous advice.  Wait until you've at least had your first season before you start worrying about crowd control measures.

in my opinion the ideal show runs every 30 mins and is 15 mins long. 15 mins of show and then 15 mins for traffic to clear out and the time for the next group to get in position....

Last year was my first year. I live in a city with about 150k people. I averaged 10-15 the first couple weeks and 100 cars on Christmas eve. We put out a tub for food donations and got 15 lbs of canned food. Traffic wasn't a big problem. Cars would stay for 5-10 minutes.

This will be my 4th year. Last year was a zoo of traffic so the show runs continuously. What they all heard about and came to see, the two Frozen songs since there was animation on the pixel tree. In order to get traffic to move, I had to bump up the play count of those two songs, to every 3rd song, one of them would play. I still had the rest of the songs/sequences mixed in with over 30 in the list. I did it this way to insure that each time someone local would pass by, it insured that they would be seeing/hearing different songs with the exception of the two. Show runs continuously from 5:30 to 10 and signs will be posted this time that says that. There are startup sequences and shutdown sequence.

I live in a rural area in Colorado and do this as a show for the Kids. We don't get a ton of traffic as its a culde sac, I let the show loop. That way all can come and go as they please.

If you build it and word spreads, they will come. :)

What are typical lengths of a "Show"?  

This is a "meta" answer: You will be more likely to get better answers if you phrase your question:

"What is the typical length of a Show?"

instead

"Newbie question-"

My show, is around an hour long, it runs continues from 17:00hrs - 23:00hrs 7 days a week. Then I get complaining that I should let it run longer on Fridays and Saturdays