Light-O-Rama Forums

32 channels ordered finally

Kevowatts

Hello all, finally got my 32 channels ordered. Hope they here here in time lol. I've been sequencing for a couple weeks and have really enjoyed it. The visualizer is amazing I just hope the real deal looks the same. I'll be using mini incandescent for most but also have leds from last year. House outline(2 colors),6 windows( each a different color) 2 pillars,(3 colors), 2 large multicolor 180 deg trees. And 5 mini trees(4 colors). This leaves me with 4 spare channels. I really want to use them but will keep open. I have been researching for years but finally did it.....CLAP.....I made a plan a few weeks ago and decided to stick to it as I'm running out of time lol. I appreciate all the knowledge I've gotten here. I hope I don't make too many rookie mistakes but I'm sure I'll make a few. I wrapped 200 lights on a mini tree yesterday, zip tied and made permanent........forgot to plug in and check lights first......lesson learned. Wish me luck and hopefully the show will be worth sharing, even if this is just a learning experience for the first year.

Welcome to our madness....rather, hobby..lol. It grows on you for sure but the real reward is when family, friends and everyone else sees it run for the first time and they are wowed. We all do it for different reasons but whatever your's are, hope it meets expectations. BTW, 32 channels is a good start to get familiar with things. After Christmas sales!!!! Of course, there's the two LOR sales each year too.

Welcome

Time if not on your side so while waiting for your LOR hardware, do as much as you can in installing the lights and running power cords to where your controlelrs will be.

Also play around now with the show editor and schedule to get comfortable with it.

Once you get the controllers, hopefully everything clicks for you in the Hardware Utility.

Good luck

Now just in case....do not connect your computer's TCPIP (ethernet) cable to the controllers. You "MUST" use the LOR RS-485/USB adapter at the computer, cabling to your controllers. They use the same cable type...Cat5 but the LOR controllers are NOT ethernet...they are RS485...totally different animal. You will let out the magic smoke if you connect to the wrong thing.

I too am first year with 32 channels. Got mine lit up for the first time last night . Wow what an amazing feeling. Hope all goes well for you. This forum is a wealth of information and help . I had a bit of trouble with hardware utility until I understood to plug each one in to cat 5 one at a time and set their id number. Then daisy chain together and search for them. All went well afterwards and lights worked perfectly. Good luck to you for your first light up.

4 open channels.....that was so yesterday lol. Kinda like an empty bin in a tackle box. Now down to 1 empty. I will probably keep it open though, just in case...dgrant thx for the heads up. Slow poke thanx too, and congrats on your first setup. I've been fighting rain down here so not much lights up yet. Hopefully tomorrow is clear.

Got controller 1 unboxed, configured, tested etc. Hooked up a 4 color mini tree and wrote a test sequnce just to see what all it can do. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! Even the shimmer on the mini Incandescents looks cool. Fading in and out changing and merging colors.......man I'm going to be up all night playing lol. I have to say I am impressed with the technology and simplicity of the system and software. Now to make a great show.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got almost completed, 2 Windows left to outline with lights, but all rest is done. 3 open channels and lots of unused lights left? What to do. 3 color arch maybe? I need to fill in some gaps lol. I have materials to do a arch or a tree or something lol. Don't know what will work best yet. Maybe just leave alone.

Enjoy and have fun! Its the fun of creating new things that makes it interesting to each of us. The more you have, the more time it takes which is why its best to start out smaller and work from there.