Light-O-Rama Forums

Bitdefender

friskybri

Just this week Bitdefender is flagging LOR files as viruses.   This has happened on both my laptop and desktop.    It would try to quarantine the files.  I excluded them from now on and it went away.   I highly doubt that both my LOR files actually had viruses.  

What version of BitDefender? Are you set to auto-update?

Running BitDefender as well and have not experienced that. I'm on auto-update and haven't had it happen to me.

bitdefender 2016 internet security.  laptop updated today and right after the update it logged C:\program files (x86)light-o-rama\serodogutility.exe as a virus

I noticed also after it did this on my main pc it would cause that annoying install issue where it would keep installing like a failed install. 

I have seen the same thing.  "Bitdefender has detected an infected item in c:program files (x86)light-o-rama\servodogutility.exe.  Virus name: Gen:Varieant.Symmi.57489."  Just started happening last Friday.  Using Bitdefender Antivirus plus 2015, Build 18.23.0.1604, engine version 7.63331.  I uninstalled LOR and reinstalled, but the same thing happened.  Had to make an exception for servodogutility. 

This seems related to why LOR no longer runs on my PC.  I am running BitDefender and tried to install 4.2.10 and it fails to install the program.  It hits a snag at the servodogutility.exe and the VBaccelerator.txt.

Anyone have a work around for this?

You should be able to open up the Antivirus section of BD and across the top should be a tab called exclusions.  You can specifically exclude the LOR directory.

Get rid of bit defender......

These days anti virus is little more than a security blanket.

If you must have one, use the built in Windows defender. Just as good as anything.

Can one of you who has their software please submit it and tell them it is a false positive. 

I just spent 20 minutes trying and they are heck-bent on wanting a 'License Key' - Why would I have one of their license keys, I'm from the company that you are flagging the false positive on!

I opened a support ticket with Bit Defender last night, and also provided them a link to the download page for 4.2.10.

I hope Bit Defender can fix the problem, if not, I will have to uninstall their software and use Windows Defender as PhilMassey suggests.

Hello All,

I tried the Exclusion feature of the BitDefender software and excluded the entire LightORama directory.  The 4.2.10 still had the same error.  I moved the .exe file (to install 4.2.10) into the LightORama directory and executed it there, and I still had the same problem.

I uninstalled BitDefender, and I was able to install the executable (from my Downloads folder).

Hello DevMike,

Just to let you know, I am still in contact with Bitdefender in regards to this "false positive" virus issue with LOR.  They say they will get back to me.  If I have any updates, I will post them here.

Stan

Hello DevMike,

Just to let you know, I am still in contact with Bitdefender in regards to this "false positive" virus issue with LOR.  They say they will get back to me.  If I have any updates, I will post them here.

Stan

Thanks.  I appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the same issues with LOR 3.8.2{of which I am still using} as well.  Had to do what others did and set my LOR directories as exceptions to make it stop annoying me and having to go in an UN-Quarantine the LOR files.  I also sent them e-mails and log files of these "FALSE POSITIVES", I don't use auto-update on anything on the Show computer, it only connects to the internet when I insert the USB WIFI Dongle, other than that, not connected and I still got the errors and I know there aren't any viruses on my system or in the LOR files, even flagged sequences I created as malware or infected, couldn't seem to make up its mind what it really found in the files!   But I do keep it updated when i go online, but even with the updates, I still had the same issue with the software.

And nope, I never heard back from them except after the first time telling me to contact the software company about the problems.   Duh, it's THEIR program that's creating the problems, NOT the LOR software!     Never had this issue with AVAST! and may just switch back to that one.

Edited by Orville