Light-O-Rama Forums

Very Basic Information

sleffingwell

Hello All,

I am the true definition of a newbie. I would like to know if there is a good web site/page where I can get the very basic information/vocabulary. I am having trouble doing research on this, because I do not have the basic vocabulary to ask the correct questions. Some examples words that I have been seeing on this blog:

1. Channels

2. LED vs, RGB

3. Contollers Limitations

4. Power requirements

5. Networking (I see a lot of CAT5 being used. In my line of work that means setting un networks.)

I would like to put on some swim wings on before I jump into the pool.

I truly would appreciate any guidance.

Thank you,

Scott

1. Channels--- your run of the mill controller has 16 outlets to plug light strings in. 1 plug in = 1 channel. If you have 4 bushes in your yard and you run extension cords from 4 different plugins on your controller to 4 light strings on your bushes then you are using 4 channels. Using the lightorama software you then tell the program which bush you want to turn on at which time and thats a very basic start to a light show....

2. LED vs, RGB    LED= light emitting diode, all it really matters to you is that it's the newer type of light bulb available and they only use a fraction of the power that the old fashioned xmas light bulbs do, they cost more but are cheaper to run and last alot longer. RGB stands for red, green, blue and a basic defintion of this type of bulb is that it's actually 3 bulbs in one. One red, one green, one blue. If you vary the amount of power to each bulb you can create different colors. Because there's 3 bulbs in one light one RGB lightbulb is usually 3 channels. If this is your first attempt at doing a light display then you should wait until next year and learn more before you start playing with RGB. If you search lightorama how to's on youtube there'll be tutorials on lots of stuff there too.

3. Contollers Limitations. Not sure what you're referring to here. You can find out the technical limitations of almost every controller here. http://www1.lightorama.com/documentation/

4. Power requirements. If you just start with a a 16 channel box such as this then you just have to plug it in.  Check out this link for where to start... http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html

5. Networking (I see a lot of CAT5 being used. In my line of work that means setting un networks.) In our line of work ( hobby ) we set up networks as well though most of us don't use more than 2 or 3 of them. You use cat5 cable to connect your PC ( computer ) to your light controller box/boxes. http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/

Spend lots of time reading on these forums, not just new posts but old ones as well and you'll learn a ton of stuff. This is the worst time of year to try and get replies on the forums as most of us are busy setting up displays and tweaking our sequences. If you are planning on buying lights and controllers and having a show this year then I bid you good luck, it's doable but very difficult to pull off in such a short timeframe. You're better off to spend the rest of the year learning, maybe place an order for a controller so you can play with it and see how it works and then you'll be in alot better spot for next years show. Have fun and take your time with this. The first year or 2 is pretty overwhelming but over time it gets easier.....

Edited by oilmoney

Oilmoney is 100% correct.

I'd just like to add that...   We use CAT5 cables to link the computer and controllers, but, it is not Ethernet.   So do not try to plug into the Ethernet port on your computer, or a Ethernet hub/switch.  The communication protocol is RS485, and it requires a serial or USB adapter to connect to your computer.

Jerry

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me out. I do not plan on doing a sequence this year. This is my learning year.

I do a lot of programming for work, so, I know when learing new languages...take small bites.

Once again thank you, and good luck on your upcoming season.

Scott

Start with a plan. Take a picture of your home. Print out several copies then start drawing strings of lights on it and identify how you wish to control them or what you wish to see. This will dictate your hardware requirements. After Christmas sales are the best for saving money on LED strings although you might wish to spend for the better quality strings from sources here online. You can start sequencing at any time as you do not need the hardware to accomplish the sequencing. Once you know your hardware requirements, wait for the spring LOR sale and insure your email is on the notification list with LOR. Be ready to jump fast as soon as the sale begins....seconds count. During your planning, think about how you are going to attach lights to the different places on your home. Most of us suggest starting out easy your first year and get a handle on things. All the advice given above is correct and you are wise to ask questions before purchasing things. So, plan, order, fabricate as needed, sequence anytime, receive equipment, initial setup and test inside, continue sequencing efforts as you learn, finalize, create show list and get ready to deploy...more testing and finally, lights on for real!

also sales for lights pop up early in the New Year. You can pre order most of your lights and save some cash

You could also download the sequencing software and practice what you read or see. The download doesn't cost, but you will be using it as demo software.

Scott, I like you am new to all this. i got a 48 channel set up last year and ended up connecting my lights to it on a ten minute loop.

everyone was impressed that areas that were clear could change to red or blue. This year i have spent time sequencing my own songs to suit my light display. having a bit of an issue getting it run as a show but the best way to learn is to make a mistake and go from there. in short........ have a go, like they say crawl, walk then run. all the best. John.