Light-O-Rama Forums

rgb copy, paste, and color change?

seriouslylosingit

I have 7 white trees that I have some sequences for.  Other than manually adjusting each segment, is there a way to copy and paste a particular animation into another part of a song, but then change it's color?

Thanks

R

Maybe I'm seriously losing it, but white trees and RGB.  What am I missing?  Or is the white produced by full bright R, G, & B?

OK, that fills in enough of the blank to understand what you are doing.  So if I have it right, you currently have a white string (or maybe more than one) on a white tree and you are adding RGB lights to it and want to be able to duplicate the pattern, but in a different color.  As long as you can stay with the primary or secondary colors with the RGB lights, it's pretty easy.  For this example, I will assume you currently have one string of white lights on each tree, and you are adding one string of dumb RGB lights to each tree.

For the example, lets say that the sequence segment you want to duplicate runs from 0:10 to 0:30 in the sequence.  Let's further assume you want to put that same sequence segment from 1:10 to 1:30, but in Red, and then again from 1:40 to 2:00 in Purple.  Select the white channel  from 0:10 to 0:30 and copy.  Then go to 1:10 and expand the RGB channel into it's individual color channels and select 1:10 and paste onto the red channel.  Then go to 1:40, and paste onto the Red and Blue channels.  Now you have your 20 second segment from 0:10 - 0:30 also appearing in Red from 1:10 - 1:30 and in Purple from 1:40 - 2:00  Note that if the timings are not the same for those segments, make sure you have Paste by Time selected.

Edited by k6ccc

Thanks. I don't have any white lights on the tree, just an unlit white tree. I will try your suggestions. I am new to the rgb business, so trying to figure it all out.

Thanks

• Like 1

What you want to do is possible. Just copy and paste the animation. Or the color part. Now, keep in mind that you would normally only have 2 colors max per section due to the color fade tool.

Now, select the section you want to copy, copy and paste. Select the pasted section and change using the color fade tool.

An easier way is with superstar. This is one reason I never sequence without superstar. Changing colors are quick. I get to experiment and find what I like fast.

Now before anyone goes down the "superstar is for pixels only" path let me say it just isn't true. Sequencing is faster in superstar for regular lights, rgb and pixels.

But....this is the reason that you are gonna want superstar right here. Get an animation or part of a song sequenced that you like and want to repeat, copy and paste and with superstar I can quickly get the timing lined up perfect using nudges and experiment with different colors in seconds.

Possible with the color fade tool in the sequence editor. But slower and more cumbersome. For me the results were not worth all the time and I get to the point if the timing doesn't exactly line up to say "good enough".

What you want to do is possible. Just copy and paste the animation. Or the color part. Now, keep in mind that you would normally only have 2 colors max per section due to the color fade tool.

Now, select the section you want to copy, copy and paste. Select the pasted section and change using the color fade tool.

An easier way is with superstar. This is one reason I never sequence without superstar. Changing colors are quick. I get to experiment and find what I like fast.

Now before anyone goes down the "superstar is for pixels only" path let me say it just isn't true. Sequencing is faster in superstar for regular lights, rgb and pixels.

But....this is the reason that you are gonna want superstar right here. Get an animation or part of a song sequenced that you like and want to repeat, copy and paste and with superstar I can quickly get the timing lined up perfect using nudges and experiment with different colors in seconds.

Possible with the color fade tool in the sequence editor. But slower and more cumbersome. For me the results were not worth all the time and I get to the point if the timing doesn't exactly line up to say "good enough".

I am going to see how much "extra time" I have. I am still running lights and making modifications to my wooden decor.. SS might have to be an "after its all over" adventure.

I don't know how much of a learning curve there is with that, so not sure if I would be better off waiting or trying to dabble with a limited amount of time??

Thanks for your suggestions!

Yeah, superstar takes time to learn. The longer you have used the sequence editor the longer to grasp the superstar method.

It took me 3 songs. But I only had used the sequence editor 1 year.

But yeah, after the season is probably best.

Colorfade tool is the only other way to do what you want.

Good luck