Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 bridge trouble

Quefol

Hello I am having trouble with my e1.31 bridge I built from a kit from diyledexpress everything works fine for a few minutes and then my lights will randomly flash if any one is Familar with this Bridge the green act light will light dimly when everything is working correctly but will flash randomly when it starts to fail I disconect the cable from my Ethernet port of the pc and plug it back in it works again for a few minutes and dose it again I have my pc Ethernet cat 5 conected to a router from there I have one cat 5 going to a e682 and one gong to the e1.31 bridge witch run all my dmx controlers I also am running a lor network off of a usb dongle

This seems to be a common issue.  So far pretty much everyone with a GB network is having this issue.  Try inserting a 10/100 switch in front of the bridge.  It has worked for just about everyone so far.. including me.  Something about the auto negotiating with the Wiznet thingy..

Thanks I don't think is gigabit router its a liksys wrt54g but I have a 10/100 switch laying around maybe I'll try that

Don't know if this will help........ but you might be having lag issues I seemed to be having the same problems doing the same thing your trying to do with my N series router so I got the new linksys gigabyte router and their range extender and I have 32 strings of 50 pixels for my pixel tree, no issues so far and I'm sending almost 150ft. to the bridge across the street and the router is in my house. 

I have the same bridge. I'm not having any trouble but mine is hooked up through a separate Ethernet card in the computer on its own network. It's strongly recommended that you have it isolated from your home network. From my computer I have a cat5 run that goes to my attic. In the attic I have hey 10/100 Ethernet switch then to the bridge. My bridge is running DMX as well as some pixel extenders. Also remember to check all your basics put a voltmeter on your power and make sure that you're getting all the correct voltages. Go back through the assembly manual and run the tests for voltage at the IC

I have the same bridge. I'm not having any trouble but mine is hooked up through a separate Ethernet card in the computer on its own network. It's strongly recommended that you have it isolated from your home network. From my computer I have a cat5 run that goes to my attic. In the attic I have hey 10/100 Ethernet switch then to the bridge. My bridge is running DMX as well as some pixel extenders. Also remember to check all your basics put a voltmeter on your power and make sure that you're getting all the correct voltages. Go back through the assembly manual and run the tests for voltage at the IC

ahh.. the key here I think is that you have a 10/100 switch feeding the bridge.  During programming this year I ran thru my regular GB network but had to put a 10/100 switch in front of the bridge.. then it all worked great.. before that, not so much..

Seem to be working good now I have several cat 5 couplers in the dmx network that I found had a lot of moisture in them after several days of rain not shure if that was the culprit but after pulling them apart and drying them out everything is working fine now

I ran my show last year with RJ 45 connectors. When I pulled everything down I noticed almost all of them we're near failure. This year I cut them all off and swaped them out for the smaller diameter 4-wire waterproof connectors. I'm sure there's going to be a few more people who chime in and tell you the same thing.

I ran a bridge to router last year and intended too this year but I noticed that one of the E1.31 controllers was having lag problems just loading its internal webpage. Last year, it was just one E1.31 controller and it worked just fine. This year, there are 3. I verified the lag issue by taking out the bridge and matching router and installing a GB switch in place of the router and cabled direct. Now its fast. The problem is now getting the Cat6 out there which means holes through the walls to the outside, waterproofing and so on. I'm guessing that my bridge just wasn't fast enough for more than one controller.

You don't need cat6 cable unless you have a really long run. I'm running Gigabeat speeds in my house on cat 5 cable. Plus the show doesn't require that kind of speed. I think just getting rid of the router and going to the switch was all you needed

The price difference between Cat5 and Cat6 is minor so I usually order Cat6, Cat6a. I have yet another E1.31 controller (Pixcon16 from LOR) which won't be used this year but if every channel was consumed on all controllers, I'd be looking at a serious amount of data flow. I could and would consider switching to fiber but I think that's off in the future.