Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP! AlphaPix 16 Lag Issues

rmcjfrank

I had previously posted about Null Pixel help, but turns out my problem is not due to the lack of null pixels -- rather it is the AlphaPix 16 controller.  I verified by swapping out a Pixlite 16, which ran smooth as silk.  With the AlphaPix 16 (v1)  using LOR S4 Pro, there is serious lag issues, as well as some strips staying on randomly, etc.  Super frustrating.  

I reached out to HolidayCoro with the issue, and he said they are releasing v1.04 of the firmware - estimated to be Mid-Nov - that fixes lag issues with "certain sequences."  My concern is if this doesn't fix my problem I will be absolutely scrambling so close to the start of my show season.  I am considering dropping another $200 on a Pixlite 16 straight from Advatek...but really don't want to do that (including buying a new enclosure, cords, etc...and building it).

Questions:

1) Anyone else have this issue?

2) Does anyone have a fix or setting change that helps?

3) Seems this is an LOR unique issues -- if so, is there something I should do to my sequence?  

4) Does anyone believe this new firmware will fix this type of issue?

-- Rob

Return the AlphaPix.  There's no guarantee the firmware upgrade will fix your specific problem it appears from HC's response, and you also don't know what new issues might be introduced.  

It's getting way to late into the season for you to deal with the unknowns...go with the knowns.

If it is any consolation to you, I have 3 of the Pixlite 16 Long Range and they run flawlessly.  So the Pixlite is a great choice in my opinion..

Thanks all, I considered the PixCon16, but since I knew the PixLite 16 was good for my setup, and my timeline was short, I ordered one from Advatek -- very responsive company and one is on the way.  I hope I can return the AlphaPix at this point -- I have had it about 3 months, and don't know if HC will take it back.  I suppose if the firmware fixes the issue, I can use it next year for an expanded display.

Edited by rmcjfrank

I had previously posted about Null Pixel help, but turns out my problem is not due to the lack of null pixels -- rather it is the AlphaPix 16 controller.  I verified by swapping out a Pixlite 16, which ran smooth as silk.  With the AlphaPix 16 (v1)  using LOR S4 Pro, there is serious lag issues, as well as some strips staying on randomly, etc.  Super frustrating.  

I reached out to HolidayCoro with the issue, and he said they are releasing v1.04 of the firmware - estimated to be Mid-Nov - that fixes lag issues with "certain sequences."  My concern is if this doesn't fix my problem I will be absolutely scrambling so close to the start of my show season.  I am considering dropping another $200 on a Pixlite 16 straight from Advatek...but really don't want to do that (including buying a new enclosure, cords, etc...and building it).

Questions:

1) Anyone else have this issue?

2) Does anyone have a fix or setting change that helps?

3) Seems this is an LOR unique issues -- if so, is there something I should do to my sequence?  

4) Does anyone believe this new firmware will fix this type of issue?

-- Rob

The biggest issue we had in solving this problem was actually reproducing it - it took us awhile to find a sequence that would produce the error.  We did get that and the developer has located the issue as one invoked when the universe count was upped to 999.  We absolutely will be releasing this fix and a number of other tweaks and other improvements before the season starts - our target date is the 15th for the full release.

Good luck getting HC to take it back.

George - I'm showing only a single order in 2014, did we accidentally make a mistake with an order we are not aware of?

The biggest issue we had in solving this problem was actually reproducing it - it took us awhile to find a sequence that would produce the error.  We did get that and the developer has located the issue as one invoked when the universe count was upped to 999.  We absolutely will be releasing this fix and a number of other tweaks and other improvements before the season starts - our target date is the 15th for the full release.

I have been an industrial controls engineer for a few decades and what David says here rings so true in many things electronic, and especially software driven hardware.  The old adage "we can't fix it if it ain't broken" is so true.  Gotta find it to fix it.

I don't use any of David's controllers but let me jump in and stand in his corner on this one.. It's a shame the problem came so late in the season, but at least they are dealing with it. 

Unfortunately, this forced me to spend another $200 because it is already mid-Nov with no fix in place and way to close to the season.  Worse, as stated above, it is beyond "warranty" so I won't get my money back (bought it about 4 months ago) -- very disappointed in Holiday Coro's decision to switch to these (underdeveloped) boards.  Fortunately I got a PixLite 16 from the very helpful Advatek folks.  Everything is in and running with no issues with the Pixlites.  No need for null pixels either -- up to 40 feet on a couple of runs with no problems. 

I do understand and appreciate they are trying to get it resolved -- just unfortunate for me (financially).  Maybe I can get Holiday Coro to take this board back and give me a refund, but not holding my breathe.

Edited by rmcjfrank

If you go to the HC site you will notice that they have the Alphapix 2 out now. Did they find issues with the first version? If so what about all those people who bought the first version?

Unfortunately, this forced me to spend another $200 because it is already mid-Nov with no fix in place and way to close to the season.  Worse, as stated above, it is beyond "warranty" so I won't get my money back (bought it about 4 months ago) -- very disappointed in Holiday Coro's decision to switch to these (underdeveloped) boards.  Fortunately I got a PixLite 16 from the very helpful Advatek folks.  Everything is in and running with no issues with the Pixlites.  No need for null pixels either -- up to 40 feet on a couple of runs with no problems. 

I do understand and appreciate they are trying to get it resolved -- just unfortunate for me (financially).  Maybe I can get Holiday Coro to take this board back and give me a refund, but not holding my breathe.

With the new Pixlite, did it just plug and play into your existing setup you had with the Alphapix? (pixels, extension cables, enclosure, etc) 

For anyone having the same issue...I was experiencing the "lagging" issue on my Alphapix controller as well.  I updated to the latest firmware last night and it seems to have fixed the issue.  I have sequences that would always experience lag, and after the update, I did not see any.  Thanks for getting this fixed before the season HC.  

• Like 1

All, an update:  I did the firmware update, and the lag was significantly diminished, but still exists.  Both with a few of the regular outputs AND the DMX outs to some dumb controllers.  Essentially, lights will occasionally just stay on in the last color (complete strip) for several seconds, and then will "catch up" to the sequence.

I put the Pixlite back in for the season -- it was almost plug and play, but had to switch up the pin outs for the connectors.  It is working flawlessly!

Certainly disappointed with the AlphaPix -- going to request a full refund -- with all the money I have spent with Holiday Coro, I sure hope they do the right thing and take this back.