Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Arches

Dglass4321

Several years ago I bought one of those six channel simplistic controller systems that at least allowed me to use my own music.  I strung about 10,000 blue and cool white LEDs.  It looks pretty good for what it is but of course is nothing compared to what you big kids are doing.  Now, I want to get my feet wet with an LOR system.  I know it is way too late for this year to even get into a modest display but next year I retire so I’m going to jump in with both feet.  But for this year, I was wondering does LOR has a "canned" program for leaping arches?  Two years ago I built three arches (LED wrapped PVC sleeves on PVC pipe)and hooked them up to a static controller that only has three channels.  The effect is again okay for what it is but I know I  could convert these with minimal effort if the controller is pre-programmed.  I’m not looking for them to be synchronized to music, I’m totally okay with them just constantly leaping away!   If this isn’t pure fantasy on my part, what do I need to buy?

Sorry if this is already covered elsewhere but I couldn’t find the answer.  Thanks in advance for the help.

First welcome aboard. :)

There isn't a "canned' program for leaping arches. At least that I know of and times change fast around here.

Reason being, any effect comes from the mind, not from a program because every song, beat, prop, display is different. I can't see a "canned" effect being possible in this hobby unless it was borrowed or copy/past type of deal. Then still it would have to be modified to fit your situation.

Just my two cents.

Yes, Welcome to our world of flashing lights! Arches are actually very easy to sequence using any number of methods. Primarily the "Chase" tool. Different effects can be applied too from just turning on/off a segment or on and fade off as they proceed across the arch...of course, going the opposite direction. Most people suggest an "odd" number of segments there's resulting in a segment at the top of the arch. Arches are channel eaters along with megatrees. Each segment will require its own channel. So lets say you have 4 arches of 7 segments each. You would need 28 channels therefore two controllers which would leave 4 leftover channels for something else.  It sounds like you are worried about learning the software. Its actually easy. Once you get the feel of how it works, you'll be amazed at how much capability it has.

Arches ARE huge channel eaters. I have 2 (2 color, 8 channel arches) = 16 channels per arch = total 32 channels = 2 LOR controllers. Next year I am changing these to smart pixels (LOR Pixcon) to free up all these discrete channels to use elsewhere in my display. I also have a vertical tower (2 color, 8 channels) that takes 1 LOR controller. This will also be modified to smart pixels.

Another fairly local guy...

How many segments are your arches?

Having your lights not synced to music makes it FAR easier to sequence and can be done fairly quickly.

Welcome aboard.

I have four 8 channel arches. I only use one 16 channel controller. Tie every other arch together with SPT1 cords. Most viewers won't know they're not all individual. (Edit. Heck fire. And my MEGA ARCH is 16 channels tied to those same 16 channels.)

Also, you can download the software for free and try it out. http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/

Good luck whatever you do.

Edited by Mega Arch

Welcome aboard.

Most viewers won't know they're not all individual.

Uh Daniel? Sorry buddy but I noticed and sent fliers to all your neighbors and put it on facebook, twitter and all social media.

It should be on the 10 o-clock news tonight and Jay Leno later. Then tomorrow on CBS evening news with Scotty boy. Then it's going to be aired on the Christmas Light Fight next month.

Sorry, I thought it was like a treasure hunt thing that the winner had to brag and announce their findings to get the award.

Is this not the case?

:)

• Like 1

Uh Daniel? Sorry buddy but I noticed and sent fliers to all your neighbors and put it on facebook, twitter and all social media.

It should be on the 10 o-clock news tonight and Jay Leno later. Then tomorrow on CBS evening news with Scotty boy. Then it's going to be aired on the Christmas Light Fight next month.

Sorry, I thought it was like a treasure hunt thing that the winner had to brag and announce their findings to get the award.

Is this not the case?

:)

Careful my friend. I know where you live. I'll come over & hide the reindeer food. Then they'll be too weak & you'll have to put everything in one of the Cudas to haul it around.

• Like 1

Another fairly local guy...

How many segments are your arches?

Having your lights not synced to music makes it FAR easier to sequence and can be done fairly quickly.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but there have been some issues and we had Halloween to put away.  Anyway, currently the arches have six segments but I am going to rebuild them using PEX for the support structure.  That will allow more height or at least I hope so.  I'm thinking seven to nine segments.  The shorter segments should help make a more gradual and better defined arch. So what do I need to order?  Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it. 

Each segment will need its own channel. "X" number of segments times "X" number of arches equals number of channels needed...extension cords for each and a software license to run with. Most of us started with an advanced license assuming we were going to go father with it, but you don't need to do that if just one controller or two for this year.