Light-O-Rama Forums

My Light - O - Rama just arrived today

krash.landing4@gmail.com

Ok...

So I have always had a large static display- last year I bought a cheap Showbox and added some minor random beat control - this year- I am ready to Tackle my 16 Channel controller.

My question is - what comes first.  

The music or the design.  I am starting to get my mind around the 16 controllers and what I can do with it-  how do you "plan" your display?  

I don't want to start TOO big this year- and I want to learn (although I tend to get tunnel vision and go head first into a big project). 

Do you sketch it out? plan your colors? Do you choose the music and then picture a display around it?  

Any input will be appreciated!

There is a basic 4x4 pattern that most use to plan.  I think there is also a generic layout on the LOR homepage, but nobody's house looks like that, soooooo... I would recommend starting off with your static display and start working backwards to build your show.  Try to divide it up into groups yard, house and roof.  After you have your layout, then go to the music. It is a little late to develop your own sequences, so try the sharing portion of the forum and modify to your set-up.

Think of what gets the best bang for 16 channels.

Roof line

icicles

Windows

Door

Garage door

trees

bushes

yard props

Each item listed above, if used, should have their own channel.

With 16 channels, you may consider using one color per prop to best utilize all of the items (like listed above). When you get more controllers then that would be the time to use different colored strands on the same props.

When placing items on the channel config, I like to go from top to bottom and left to right.

Roof down to the yard and left window/trees/bushes to the right window/trees/bushes. This will ease in a sweeping/chasing motion when sequencing.

Good luck.

Tom

ok-

I have acquired some music and sequences - all for 16 channels - How can I tell or see what effects go on each channel?

You build your channel config first. This way all your sequences will have the same channel line-up.

Okay, create a new sequence with the audio, that's when you would create your channel config.

Then export that channel config so it can be imported to the other sequences. This way all your sequences will have the same configuration.

Edited by Santas Helper

From one newbie to another, don't get overwhelmed.  I started writing my own sequences back when I had 32 channels.  Then it happened, my addiction and my PayPal account had a meeting that I wasn't invited to.  Apparently the UPS guy was there, because a week later 3 more controllers showed up.  When I was writing sequences things kept coming to me that would require more channels.  Right wrong or otherwise this is how I did it.  I first decided the locations of my controllers, that's how I decided who would control what.  Then I created my channel configuration and imported it into all of the songs and sound bites that I planned to sequence. If you haven't done a visualizer of your house yet then do it, I find this is my most valuable tool.  Then I created a dummy song to play around with ramping, fading etc.  I used a dummy song so I can copy and paste effects from there into songs that I am sequencing, then I just need to tweak the timing.  I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.  I'm sure there are better ways to do stuff but the way I'm doing it is simple and doesn't make my head hurt.  That's my two cents worth and I have a no refund policy so you're stuck with it.

Z

I first decided the locations of my controllers, that's how I decided who would control what. 

Z

Some good advice there Z. But...

With one controller, there isn't much of an option of locations or who will control what. It's one controller. :)

Seriously, put the one controller where majority of the lights will be. No getting around it. Extension cords will be used.

But that's not a concern right now.

Are you running the controller from a PC?  If so then putting your first controller close by is best.  I've found that the show seems more responsive with a shorter run to the first controller.  We'll talk about daisy chaining once the venom gets a chance to soak in.

Z

Are you running the controller from a PC?  If so then putting your first controller close by is best.  I've found that the show seems more responsive with a shorter run to the first controller.  We'll talk about daisy chaining once the venom gets a chance to soak in.

Z

I don't mean to butt heads here Z.

Been doin this for 10 years and haven't had a problem with length of cat5 to the first controller and I'm talkin at least 100'.

Sorry, I must have misread that your first LOR arrived today.  I should be asking you questions about LOR if you've been doing it for ten years.

Z

Sorry Santa, I thought your post was from the thread starter.  But I have noticed a big difference between 50 and 100 feet of cat5 in response time with my LED's. I did a test with 100' to the first controller and 50' and the difference was big.

Z

Sorry, I must have misread that your first LOR arrived today.  I should be asking you questions about LOR if you've been doing it for ten years.

Z

No, I'm not the new guy here. :)

I'm not the one that started this post. Just putting in some words of wisdom to the new guy.

You build your channel config first. This way all your sequences will have the same channel line-up.

Okay, create a new sequence with the audio, that's when you would create your channel config.

Then export that channel config so it can be imported to the other sequences. This way all your sequences will have the same configuration.

ummmmm.....

I understand excel   - this is a bit intimidating... lol...

So I am thinking that I have 4 colors - lets just say 

Red

White

Blue

Green

and I out line the house in those colors - That would be 4 of my channels right?  Ok then If I build some trees in 4 colors I could either put them on the same channels or put them on separate channels so I could work them 

And I do this mapping out of my display.  HOW do I use the sequences that have been shared with me to link correctly with my display?

krash

That is the way you do it. Once you get playing with it you will discover more advanced options like tracks and such to help you sequence. You can do an awfull lot with 16 options!

Your shared sequences (or purchased) will not come fitting your display perfectly. You are mainly getting effects that are timed to the music already. I would examine the sequence (colors, effects, beats, etc) and copy/paste each channel to your channels to where you think they would be best.

So I am thinking that I have 4 colors - lets just say 

Red

White

Blue

Green

All I can say is you got the color language down and in the correct order.  :D

And I appreciate seeing that.  :)

ummmmm.....

I understand excel   - this is a bit intimidating... lol...

HOW do I use the sequences that have been shared with me to link correctly with my display?

There is more than one way to skin a cat here.

You could create a new random sequence. Doesn't matter what song. Build your channel configuration. Export it. Then open the borrowed sequence and import your channel config. Then you can rearrange each channel (copy and paste) to where you want it. This way you have their sequence with special timing, if any, and your channel config.

Another way is to recreate a new sequence of that same song, create your channel config and then copy and paste each row/channel of sequencing from the borrowed sequence to the new sequence. 

Edit: here is a link to a current thread discussing importing channel configs. Some good reading. Don also mentions another good link to look at.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/37692-importing-channel-configurations/#entry347779

Edited by Santas Helper