Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16 + CMB24D Question Please

vmatheboss

I finally pulled the trigger in purchasing LOR CTB16 and CMB24 together. For the ctb16 I will use my old lights (coming from mr christmas), and the cmb24 will be with 8 (10 w) floods purchased here on LOR. So if i was to look for a christmas sequence, will I need to look for a 40 channel one? (16 from the ctb16 and 24 from the cmb24?). Sorry, trying to understand it all and get an example I can play with. Thanks

You'd be looking for 16 channel sequences, or those that contain RGB programming (or both.)

You have two very different aspects of programming there. While I know it's been done, finding someone who has something like that shared might be a bit difficult.

• Like 1

RGB channels are actually three individual channels bundled together.

While the CMB24D has 24 channels, you should consider it to be an 8-channel controller.

• Like 1

RGB channels are actually three individual channels bundled together.

While the CMB24D has 24 channels, you should consider it to be an 8-channel controller.

If I were to look for a sequence, would it be considered 40 channel or just 24? Thanks !

You'd be looking for 16 channel sequences, or those that contain RGB programming (or both.)

You have two very different aspects of programming there. While I know it's been done, finding someone who has something like that shared might be a bit difficult.

Thank you for the answer. I thought this was a very common thing for people to have both the ctb16 tied in with the cmb24? I really like the rgb and wanted to transition over to that 100% in the future, but I still want to make use of my old lights, which is why I purchased the ctb16 as well.

It's really not that black and white.  The cmb24 can be viewed as 24 channels and it can be viewed as 8 channels.  As George pointed out, it should be considered an 8-channel controller.  Your ctb16 is in fact black and white.....it's 16 channels. It's fairly common to utilize 16 channel controllers and rgb controllers, I do it.  However, as Don stated it's 2 very different programming aspects.  Instead of looking for a 40 channel sequence....you need to look for (1) 16 channel sequence, and (1) 24 RGB sequence (or 8 channel RGB sequence, depending on what the owner of the sequence refers to it as).

• Like 1

It's really not that black and white.  The cmb24 can be viewed as 24 channels and it can be viewed as 8 channels.  As George pointed out, it should be considered an 8-channel controller.  Your ctb16 is in fact black and white.....it's 16 channels. It's fairly common to utilize 16 channel controllers and rgb controllers, I do it.  However, as Don stated it's 2 very different programming aspects.  Instead of looking for a 40 channel sequence....you need to look for (1) 16 channel sequence, and (1) 24 RGB sequence (or 8 channel RGB sequence, depending on what the owner of the sequence refers to it as).

thanks. if its fairly common, then it should be pretty simple to find a sequence with all 16 channels used from the ctb16 and all channels used on the cmb24? its basically utilizing 1 (16) and 1 (8/24) together. ive been combing through the forums the last couple days and couldnt find anyone mentioning the use of these two together :(

Your ctb16 is in fact black and white.....it's 16 channels.

Actually, can't the ctb16 be looked at as 5 channels for RGB like you did 8 channels with the ctb24?

Actually, can't the ctb16 be looked at as 5 channels for RGB like you did 8 channels with the ctb24?

Have you found RGB light strings that connect to the CTB series controllers? 

I have 5 RGB 10w floods on my ctb16 controllers.

so does that mean you used 15 channels considering theyre 3 each??? i didnt know you can just plug into those...your rgb floods acutally controllable in terms of color changing through there??

I could have sworn that the 10w floods were DC powered. Didn't know you could hook them up to AC controllers.

My bad Don. I miss read. yep, they are DC controllers.

so does that mean you used 15 channels considering theyre 3 each??? i didnt know you can just plug into those...your rgb floods acutally controllable in terms of color changing through there??

Please disregard my post. I mistaken for DC not AC. Having one of those days. 

See the message below. Tom does not have RGB floods hooked up to the CTB16 controllers.

My bad Don. I miss read. yep, they are DC controllers.

I finally pulled the trigger in purchasing LOR CTB16 and CMB24 together. For the ctb16 I will use my old lights (coming from mr christmas), and the cmb24 will be with 8 (10 w) floods purchased here on LOR. So if i was to look for a christmas sequence, will I need to look for a 40 channel one? (16 from the ctb16 and 24 from the cmb24?). Sorry, trying to understand it all and get an example I can play with. Thanks

Almost impossible to get/buy sequences that will match up with your lighting elements.  The best you can do is copy selected elements from other sequences that can fit into your elements. So in that regards, doesn't really matter how many channels are in shared or purchased sequences.

As far as RGB channels, you can copy a dumb channels from a shared sequence and paste it into an RGB channel in your sequences and then  add color yourself.