Light-O-Rama Forums

simple motor for pulleys

seriouslylosingit

Hello All,

I would like to add a "jack in the box" to my Christmas display.  I haven't ever done anything that has a motorized component, so would like any suggestions that you may have.

Any motor brand, set up information, power, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

R

Servo dog controller then you can get high torque servos from Hobby Shop. Then you can control it In time with your music. You understand it's a slippery slope. Once you figure out how to do that your mind going to be racing with other possibilities

I have no knowledge of servo dog controllers.. What the heck is a "servo" anyway? This whole "habit/hobby" is a slippery slope, so:) wish someone would have told me what I was in for in the beginning....

A Servo is what you can control precisely. The shaft will only move 60 - 180 degrees. The servo dog controller hooks up to your lor Network. The servos plug into that. From there you can move it to whatever position you want in time with the music. They make several different length and sizes of arms to connect to the servo. Servos are most commonly used for controlling RC aircraft cars or robotics. This will be your best option if you're trying to get anything to move in time with your music

Unless you're trying to make a jack in the box that its door opens and closes slowly and there is no concern of timing it to the music. If that's the case you can even buy that pre made at some of the big box stores.

Try servocity.com. They have primers that explain servos and how they work.

The LOR Servodog interfaces their software with servos.

Check out linear servos for lifting your lid.

Until recently, the majority of my show has been motorized props.  A ferris wheel, skating rink, jack-in-box, teeter-totter.  Windshield wiper motors are perfect for the lighter weight stuff like a jack in the box.  Monster guts is advertised as mostly a Halloween site, but a motor is a motor.  Or freight props.com.  You can check with a local junk yard or mechanic for wiper motors, usually they are free or a couple of bucks.  Either site I just listed will be about $20 and you can buy a speed control for it for another $20 or so.  They are the perfect solution.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone!! I will start looking in to what will work best:)

If you want the top and Jack to go up and down at a constant rate, monster Guts wiper motor would likely work great.   The amount of lift would depend on the length of the fulcrum,  Just the power supply for the motor into any LOR  controller plug and set the channel to ON when ever and for as long as you want the lid to go up and down.

for motors check out Grainger at

www.grainger.com

they have many different elec motors with and without gears and different voltages..

You got me thinking about it I ordered a servo dog and received it today I'm excited to see what I can do with it. (Not for this year of course) I fly giant scale aircraft so I have boxes full of old servos that I wouldn't trust in a plane. But this will be a good use for them. Some of these servos I've spent up to $150 each

You got me thinking about it I ordered a servo dog and received it today I'm excited to see what I can do with it. (Not for this year of course) I fly giant scale aircraft so I have boxes full of old servos that I wouldn't trust in a plane. But this will be a good use for them. Some of these servos I've spent up to $150 each

So, what you are saying is, once you get this all figured out you can fly yourself up here and set them up for me??

:) :) that's the way I read it, anyway...lol!

I know what you mean I have 3 kids. After you get them to bed you have time to sit down to some intelligent thought. (Or not) I think that's how I ended up with 2700 channels. But I'm blaming you for the servo business. You got me started down that path

I am used to taking the blame, so feel free to blame me. Wow! How does one arrive at 2700 channels? I can't even wrap my head around my 2 16 channel controllers and my 3 rgb boards..how many years have you been doing this? And did you have to construct a power substation in your back yard?

It sounds more impressive than it is. You chew up channels really quick with pixels. Is led so it doesn't need much power. I started with 36 channels 3 years ago. I like to play with a lot of tech. That's why I have the airplanes. I'm teaching my son how to build and programme robots. I build a lot of electronics I also design RC aircraft.

• 2 months later...

how about connecting servos to light strings... fly them up where you want them with your drone and then dropping them... kinda like dropping a light bomb.... lol

Here is a video of my jack in the box. It's activated when people pus h the button

That is great! Good job, the crank is a nice touch. I make motorized Halloween props and that is a good looking prop.