Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree advice

aesl1982

Trying to decide how to hang my super strings off the hook head. Do Most zip tie to the hook head. Or do Yall have a better way. I'm worried about zip tie and weight causing strain on the plug ends

I made my super strands with wire to support the strand and keep the load off the strand. Then I have spring clips on each end of the wire/super strand. Of course this is for my 33' strands. For shorter strands, I would make a loop with a wire tie and put that loop on the hook to keep stress off the plug end. Doing a loop with also aim the plug end down towards the ground and not capture water like it would if it was pointing upward.

DSC03264-1_zps01b61fc5.jpg

I had the pleasure of helping Santas Helper and Papa6058 last year. Fell in love with the super strand idea that they both use. So for this year's mega tree make-over, I went with super strands as well. To keep wires taught, without straining plugs and string wires, I used Caddy Speed Link system. This wire will also attach at the bottom to a PVC ring. That will help 'em stay taught as well as let me level the tree out for my sloped yard.
Here's the product I used:
http://www.erico.com/part.asp?part=SLK15L7
Here's a pic of wrapping the wires.
SUPERSTRAND_zpsnowt0wrt.jpg
Good luck,
Daniel

Edited by Mega Arch

I had the pleasure of helping Santas Helper and Papa6058 last year. Fell in love with the super strand idea that they both use. So for this year's mega tree make-over, I went with super strands as well. To keep wires taught, without straining plugs and string wires, I used Caddy Speed Link system. This wire will also attach at the bottom to a PVC ring. That will help 'em stay taught as well as let me level the tree out for my sloped yard.

Here's the product I used:http://www.erico.com/part.asp?part=SLK15L7

Here's a pic of wrapping the wires.

Good luck,

Daniel

if u get a chance to take a pic on how you used the sped link system that would be great

Pictures soon I hope. Still putting the C9s & icicles on roof. I go all the way around the house and didn't finish today. Great weather this week though & so I'm taking a few days off work. We'll see how far I get.

Yah I've been bumbed out here in Texas. Was gonna hit it hard this weekend but glad I didn't do much leading into weekend bad bad flooding around here had 6 tornados also.

I use super strands and just loop them over the hook head. I do wrap a few turns of electrical tape around them so friction doesn't wear through the wire. Over 5 years with the same LED strands with no issues.

• Like 1