Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial port comm1 has a problem

Paducks

Hello,

I am having a problem with my hardware utility recognizing my port. I have installed and reinstalled my drivers both with the disc and on the ftdi website. Windows 7 says drivers were installed correctly. When I go to plug my USB 485 to the computer, the device manager recognizes it in ports and assigned to com 3 - but there is a yellow hazard flag next to it. When I click on it, under general it states under device status that Windows can't verify the signature for the drivers requested.

My second issue is linked to above that when I then go into HU, there is no option under manual select a port to change it and also when I select unit to configure by hitting the refresh button, it says that serial port com1 assigned to LOR has a problem.

Please help! Thanks!

there is no option under manual select a port to change it

Could you please describe this further? There should be a dropdown box immediately under the words "Manual Select".  Is there no such box? Is there one there but it's greyed out? Is it not greyed out, but "Comm 3" doesn't show up in the choices it lists when you click on it to open the dropdown list?

Hi Bob,

When I click on manual the only option is the word "none". No other options or comm/ports are listed. Please help! Thank you so much!

OK, that means that Windows isn't telling LOR about the existence of that port.  I would guess that that's because Windows apparently doesn't think the port is properly set up, for whatever reason ("can't verify signatures" or whatever).

This is a total shot in the dark, but I'd unplug it and plug it into a different USB port.  If possible, I'd use a port that is directly on the computer (rather than on some external USB hub), and preferably on the motherboard itself.  If that didn't work, I'd try another port, and another, and so on, until I'm all out of ports.

Hi Bob,

So figures it is now working! Who knows what I did or didn't do!!! I am a Mac user so never really understood the Windows system - thank you so much for your help!!!!