Light-O-Rama Forums

Filming your Display

EmmienLightFan

Does anyone have any tips on filming your display for YouTube?

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ40 but the video of my lights comes out grainy. I have tried removing video grain in Adobe After effects but it still looks bad.
I could get another camera but the one that I have is really good.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Not familiar with your camera, but one of the general suggestions is to disable both Auto Iris and Auto Focus.  That prevents the camera from trying to chase focus and light levels.

I have changed the auto focus.

I cannot find a setting for auto iris. It may be called something different on my camera.

Does anyone have any tips on filming your display for YouTube?

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ40 but the video of my lights comes out grainy. I have tried removing video grain in Adobe After effects but it still looks bad.

I could get another camera but the one that I have is really good.

Most all Lumix models are very good cameras. I have a Lumix FZ200 and I get better videos than with my 3K professional camera. So with that said, If I understand you correctly grain in digital cameras is digital noise and usually cause by 

using to high of and ISO ..........ISO in digital would be compared to film cameras, in film they called it ASA, if you remember 

buying 125-160-400 speed film at the store. Well, the higher the ISO the more noise digital cameras will produce.

I would try and and set my ISO at 800 and the aperture at the highest opening possible (My FZ200 opens up to 2.4)

If your lens won't open up that far say it does 3.5 max then lower your shutter speed to 60 or even 40 and use a tripod

and like the OP said don't use auto focus set the camera to manual focus.

I don't know all the variables you have to work under but the main thing is try to keep your ISO as low as possible and

and adjust your aperture and shutter speed to get a quality image with less noise (Grain)

It's probably not int the menu section..........On the top of your camera there should be a dial and on it you

should see P (stands for auto mode) A (stands for aperture mode S (stands for shutter mode)

Turn the dial to A and set the camera to the lowest number allowable (Should be something like 3.5....2.4 maybe lower)

Then try that setting when shooting you lights and see if that helps With the noise. 

I found it.

My ISO is at 400 and the aperture to F5.4

I will see how it looks this evening.

If I do not get good video today I just have tomorrow left.

Just now I turned the camera off and on and changed the setting again. It allowed me to put it down to F3.3.

Before I posted the first post I thought that I had it on F3.3, but when I was typing the post I checked it and it wouldn't let me go below F3.3. Does anyone know why the option keeps changing?

Don't understand the 3.3, usually the Aperture number is 3.5, maybe your lens stops down to 3.3 I would use that but up this ISO to 800 and try that........Than I would go higher try that also.........My point is keep raising it and compare and see where the noise starts to where you don't like it then take it back down to the highest ISO where you like it.

Hope this makes sense to you ........

I am going to run the display tomorrow to film it.

Here is the video I got tonight:

Sorry about the people and my dad  :mellow:

The video is incredibly grainy and it looks horrible. What do you suggest doing?

Unfortunately since the camera won't open up past F3.3 the only thing I could suggest is trying to film the the display at dusk ...........Try and film with a little more daylight visible than in complete darkness

I realize I'm not seeing exactly what you see on your monitor but viewing it thru your tube it doesn't look real grainy. But to me me it looks more underexposed and that's due to the 3.3 lens opening. If you could foresee a camera like the FZ200 in your future that would be the answer or any camera that could open up to 2.4 or 1.8. A lot of people don't realize Those aperture openings are what's need for filming in dark conditions. Unfortunately those cameras  come with a high price tag.

One last thought. can your lens be changed out on your camera or is it a fixed lens..if it could be changed out that would be less costly

Unfortunately the lens is fixed. I was thinking of getting a DSLR that I could change the lens on but that camera was really good for the price.

The camera is so good in daylight and all video is very clear and photographs look very good.

I could get a new camera soon. I wanted a GoPro because it could be mounted to my drone but I don't think that that would cope well in low light conditions anyway.

It is really hard to fly my drone in the road anyway and not hit cars and houses.

Maybe I could get a FZ200. It is cheaper than my current camera was new.

One of the features I liked a lot about the FZ200 was that's the ONLY fixed lens camera that holds the F2.4 aperture thru out the  entire focal length of the lens (at that price range) other cameras may boast F2.8 or 1.4 but if you check closely that's only at a certain focal length then they drop off to 4.5 and some as bad a 5.6 at other focal lengths and in low light conditions it leave a lot to be desired.

Your right about the Go Pro in low light conditions another issue, your at the mercy of the camera since it's all auto and while the auto sensors work really good on most cameras  they get fooled a lot and can give bad results. So I think having the ability to go manual when wanted is a definite plus.

The FZ200 actually did better job than my $3K professional camera filming my display, but something to be aware of that camera is slow on focusing in low light as you can see .......https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos/page:1/sort:date/format:video in this video I did.  but when you put it in manual focus and human eyes focus the results are much better. I Hope all  this helps.

That link to your video on Vimeo was a link to a page on your Vimeo account. I can't get to it without being logged in as you.

You will need to send a link using the share or by navigating to the video's actual page.