Light-O-Rama Forums

Circles Using bullet pixels

Ron Boyd

I have had a couple of inquiries on how I did my pixel circles. It's a pretty simple project. once you have the materials, should take a couple of hours to complete.

I used Coloplast for the actual circle. The circle is about 16 inches in diameter and the pixels are about 1.5 to 2" spacing. Even though there are only 32 pixels in 2 of them, I had to power inject after 2 circles. the pixels I used are WS2811, starting at the bottom and working clockwise.

here are a few pics to show the front, back and the rigid circle I used to mount them. The rigid circle is just a small cut out from a piece of Plastic pipe scrap that a friend had. If memory serves, it's 10" in diameter. iI just mounted the gray piece to a section of 1/2" EMT.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pbwrhiwzjjh7mz4/AACl-kSet3P2c1vEVeCYY_9_a?dl=0

Edited by Ron Boyd

• 4 months later...

Ron,

I am planning to add (8) "Boyd Circles" to my display this year. Any chance you could send me a LOR SE file depicting programming of these circles? I specifically like the "jelly bean" effect (2-3 light groups - rotating).

Thanks Ron

What a ma-roon, didn't realize the yellow (maybe it's light green, I'm visually impaired) light should flicker during a test partern.  Never looked at  boards if  pixels were working, only when outlet 1 wasn't working.   The yellow led does stay on if the test parttern is solid r, g or b, otherwise it doesn flicker.

Did re-confirm that I had the correct parameters set with correct light types and the start/end channels for all 4 outlets were number correctly.

Outlet 1 still doesn't work.  Seems like  board gets stuck in test mode with pixels plugged into outlet 1, or looses link to webpage.  I  have a hell of a time getting it out of it. When pressing the "restart controller" button, I get "page not available offline".  Just spent another hour like I did the other day, in re-bootng computer, restarting webpage, unplugs cat5/power cord, hitting various button on webpage.  Finally got the "restart controller" button to actually re-start controller.   At that point, seems to dis-engage from the stuck test mode.  The computer is my show pc and is not wifi or hardwired to internet, thus the working offline webpage mood.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:13 AM, Vince4xmas said:

Ron,

I am planning to add (8) "Boyd Circles" to my display this year. Any chance you could send me a LOR SE file depicting programming of these circles? I specifically like the "jelly bean" effect (2-3 light groups - rotating).

Thanks Ron

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gr8dpung32fpj21/AADyDvYc-Msv2-15RljOsmA-a?dl=0

Included in this folder is, Visualizer files, Visualizer Props, Superstar file depicting 3 different ways I do the effects you are trying to accomplish. Also included is the las file of these same effects exported from Superstar. I threw in the SS file for anyone who would like to see how they are built.

The first effect is done using morphs. This is the least labor intensive of the 3, but you have to work a bit with the timing to get the desired effect. The second is just a series of scenes. takes a bit longer to create, but the effect can be made as fast or slow as you want. Also, If I want to avoid Channel Collision and change from, say, red to green, (similar to a fill), I use this one. If you take a look at the Frosty video on the website, at 1:23, where it changes from Green to Red to Blue to Green to Red, this is an example of this effect. The third is a series of images. this one is the most time consuming to create because of having to select a single block. you can click, hold and drag, but it's still time consuming. If using a single color, I like this tool best. 

See if this helps and if you need more, I'll get you a few sequences loaded up.

The SE file is the "sup.las". There's not any music, just a few effects. When I get home today, if you like, I'll set up a sequence with music with just the circles.

Oops. I saw the file type as AutoCAD Layer State on my system and did not realize it was the SE file. This should work for me just fine, but if you can send more.........more is always better!

Thanks again for assistance.

Checked it all out after work today and very helpful......thanks Ron!

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stacked up and alligned (8) coro sheets trimmed in circles and plunged with a 1/2" wood spade bit for 16 perfected spaced holes for bullet pixels. Just needed to trim the coro a bit in on some of the cut holes.

I was concerned a drill bit would tear up the coro and needed to use a hole punch.

Thanks for the easy solution Ron!