Light-O-Rama Forums

New to LOR, initial purchase questions

Bandit4

Hi folks.

Finally decided to pull the trigger and get started.

Even after reading everything, I'm still not exactly sure what I must purchase to have a residential system I can expand with and not get more now than I can use or need.  I imagine this is pretty simple for you guys who have been doing this for awhile.  I've read everything on the website, but I decided to avoid beginners mistakes by asking for help.

What I'd like to do this year is purchase a system, capable of operating three RGB LED 10w spots, and fifty RGB LED pixels (which I believe is two strings of 25), in addition to operating the small number of existing mini lights and a decorative spotlight.

I want the system to be expandable to broadcast music, but do not want to do that this year.  I do not have or want to have a dedicated computer running the displays.

I never expect to have a really large display so I want to have the controllable LED lights to change the colors and effects.

I don't want to spend money this year on things I wouldn't need until next year of beyond, therefore, I hesitate to purchase the "Showtime Central All in One."

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much. 

• Like 1

You need to start with a solid plan. Take a picture of your house/yard and figure out how you wish to decorate it and how you are going to illuminate the various areas. This will dictate your hardware requirements. There's a lot of talk about RGB of course and many are switching over to them but there's still a place for standard AC controllers, if they fit into your plan.

Your first year (next year), go easy on yourself and learn but start planning now or in January. Be ready for the sales from LOR or whomever you purchase from. For this year, LOR has a few packages as does Wow Lights but you are seriously way behind to get started this year. Yes, it can be done. We can give you lots of advice with the understanding that no two homes are the same, therefore no two shows are the same and none of us see the shows the same as the next person does. We are all artists in lights. FYI, many pixel strings have 50 pixels or nodes in each string, not 25. The average is 50 per string as far as I know. LOR sells the RGB flood light package with the controller. Not sure if it comes with a 12volt power supply or not but its needed. There's a serious learning curve but its easier than most people think.

Welcome to our crazy obsession but know that it's all worth it in the end.

dgrant,

Thanks for the reply.  Based on your signature, it appears you have a lot of  experience.

Do you think it's too late to set up three RGB LED floods?  Would a standard start up kit give me what I need for a very basic setup.  I was planning on using some standard mini light sets I've been using, but I don't care much if I have the synchronization worked out this year.  A few light changes would be great.

Thanks

Bandit,

I agree with David about being way behind.  With the small amount of hardware you are looking at, you could do it this year, HOWEVER the software is another story.  You need to learn how to use the software and then write your sequences.  There is quite a learning curve to the software.  You will want a week or two after everything is setup to watch the actual hardware and tweek your sequences a bit, because I guarantee you will see something that needs some adjustment.  If I were you, I would see what other people are doing this year and get ideas of what you might want to do.  Then start buying hardware in the after Christmas sales and Pre-Sales in the early spring.  Then you can go for a show next year.  That way you would not so rushed into it.

I see that Dennis posted that he is pretty close to you.  I would suggest going over to his house and pick his brain, and let him show you stuff.  Better yet, volunteer to help him setup - you WILL learn from his experience and he'll likely appreciate the help.  I did that the year before I did my first animation show with a guy near me.  I learned a lot.

dgrant,

Thanks for the reply.  Based on your signature, it appears you have a lot of  experience.

Do you think it's too late to set up three RGB LED floods?  Would a standard start up kit give me what I need for a very basic setup.  I was planning on using some standard mini light sets I've been using, but I don't care much if I have the synchronization worked out this year.  A few light changes would be great.

Thanks

Doing just three floods should be easy to accomplish right away. I have to suggest the LOR flood package with CMB24D controller, pick up a 12V power supply, you'll need an enclosure, software license, USB-RS485 adapter, Cat5 patch cable to the outside, computer inside...we can quickly help you with how to sequence a few flood lights. If you do an animation sequence, it can be just fades or whatever fairly easy. If you are wanting musical sequences, the time frame goes up real fast, but can be done. Most of us doing musical have several or many songs we've spent a lot of time on. You can do this but you need to jump far and fast right this moment and even then, by the time things arrive, you get them all together and sequenced, you might be late. As k6ccc and Dennis offered, you need to decide and go see how this all works. But if you're going to do it, order things now. Thanks for the compliments BTW but truly I'm a newbie compared to most in here.

If he is saying he doesn't care if it syncs this year, and just some "changing lights", then doesn't LOR have any stand alone controllers that have tests, or paterns they run without any input signal? I know the Holidaycoro RGB controllers have this feature.  I know LOR makes stand alone AC controllers, but not sure if they come preprogramed with any kind of sequence or presets. 

Men,

You guys gave me great advice.

Based on what you all told me, I'd decided to scale back my initial plan quite a bit.  I'm still debating about the three 10w RGB spots for this year.  Since I won't have music to sync to this year, I'd be content to have fades and color changes, but I'm still not sure what I'd need if I went that route.  I would like to get the minimum, but not cut my own throat by not having something that won't expand for me next year and beyond.

Dennis, Burbank is not far for me.  I'm going to try and come check out your setup, if you wouldn't mind.

Dennis, here is my e-mail if you wouldn't mind contacting me so I could see your setup, after it's up and you have time of course.

Again, thanks very much guys.

ltrbs104@yahoo.com

Thanks, Rick