Light-O-Rama Forums

LPD 6803 12V power injection

ctmcpeak700

Here goes: I have 4 arches made up of (2) 5 m strip lights. I noticed while checking my timings that red and green looked fine but blue looked more like cool white with a very slight blue tint. I found out that I need power injection.

So here's my question: can I use any 12v pixel, or do I have to use a certain kind. And also do I need to connect all 4 wires or just the 12v pos/neg wires?

When you said 12 volt pixel did you mean power supply? And power injection from the original power source you Connect the positive and negative. If adding a secondary power supply you sever the positive wire and inject power connecting the negative to the un severed negative wire and the positive to the severed wire connected to the light strip.

If you are running them from one port and all in series, then yes, you'll need to inject power. If each is run from its own port/universe, you shouldn't need to inject power. I'm trying the LPD6803's this year for a pixel tree. I'm only trying them because they appear to be the same that LOR uses for CCR's. My concern is they supposedly have a 5-bit accuracy as opposed to others with a higher bit programming therefore others having better smoothing and so on. They looked fine on the floor here in the house but on display is another matter. Too late now anyway for this year. Yes, I know that I'm not using LOR's custom controller/power supply for each and that might be the main difference.

I have the arches set up in the garage and I've been working on A Mad Russian's Christmas. I have no complaints about smoothness. Just color. And even then it only seems to be the blue. Today I'm going to move my control panel closer and see if that helps. BTW, do I need to be concerned about "sequence errors" on the Sandevices webpage?

When you said 12 volt pixel did you mean power supply? And power injection from the original power source you Connect the positive and negative. If adding a secondary power supply you sever the positive wire and inject power connecting the negative to the un severed negative wire and the positive to the severed wire connected to the light strip.

Thanks. Looks like I need to order a few pixels.

If you are running them from one port and all in series, then yes, you'll need to inject power. If each is run from its own port/universe, you shouldn't need to inject power. I'm trying the LPD6803's this year for a pixel tree. I'm only trying them because they appear to be the same that LOR uses for CCR's. My concern is they supposedly have a 5-bit accuracy as opposed to others with a higher bit programming therefore others having better smoothing and so on. They looked fine on the floor here in the house but on display is another matter. Too late now anyway for this year. Yes, I know that I'm not using LOR's custom controller/power supply for each and that might be the main difference.

I'm planning on using these strips on my windows, shutters, and roofline next year. Also I want to use 12mm pixels for my big tree.

Not injecting power where needed typically results in white turning into pink (because red LEDs have a lower voltage drop, therefore are affected less than green or blue). I've never heard of insufficient power turning blue into white.