Light-O-Rama Forums

Heat shrink Butt connectors

ezimnow

Based on the original post I am not sure what kind of wire is involved. However, I do have experience in using these and similar butt splices. 

I used these (or very similar ones) for years for telecom use. They are for solid conductors.  I have tried them on stranded conductors (low voltage application), but when a coworker tugged on them to test the hold they failed about 3 out of 5 times (he tugged very firmly).  

I recently tried some purchased from Home Depot. They were push in type and they were worse with stranded that these are. 

I had zero problems out of 50 or 60 of these and I only use stranded wire.

I plan on using them again this year.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I had zero problems out of 50 or 60 of these and I only use stranded wire. I plan on using them again this year.

Are you using these for low voltage or line voltage or both?  Sounds like I might need to try them again. 

Low Voltage DC. I use them where I need Power injection. All of the main connections are made ahead of time in the basement, solder, shrink wrap, water proofing, etc. Once set-up starts, where I need PI, I just snip the line, add these and then I zip tie the wires together to give a bit more strength so they won't pull out. Worked like a dream last year. Didn't have to solder anything outside during set-up.

Edited by Ron Boyd

I've used standard butt splices many times with high and low voltage without issue, providing the proper crimper is used. This was on both solid and stranded wire, ambient pressure and vacuum. Max ever I used was 12awg for 20 amp, 250 vdc and 250 vac., again, just using crimpers and always a firm tug-test. If high voltage outside, I insulate them with liquid tape after crimping. The solder types with heat-shrink require a lot of heat to properly meld the wires and so smaller wires, it'll work easier. Larger gauge wires require more heat and usually burn the external of the connector. They will work but there's a small learning curve.

"The solder types with heat-shrink require a lot of heat to properly meld the wires and so smaller wires, it'll work easier. Larger gauge wires require more heat and usually burn the external of the connector. They will work but there's a small learning curve."

Are you using a heat gun?

I used about 250 regular (not heat-shrink or gel-filled) butt crimp connectors on 18-gauge SPT1 cable to make my candlestick lights. (I changed 6 10-light strings to 4-channel strings, so I can make the candlesticks chase.) I did this in 2007 and I'm still using the same set today, for both Halloween and Christmas. They take C-7 120v bulbs.

When I made them, I injected silicon caulking, but it must have a leak, because they will trip the GFCI if the ground is wet. If I had known about these heat-shrink waterproof ones 8 years ago, I would have used them.

https://goo.gl/photos/1T5wTLAGWfAjFrdq6

Edited by Steven