Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing Unit ID on controller

Squirrelcrusher

I assembled my new controller today and realized a possible fatal flaw in my plans. I now have 2 units, but I don't have the device to hook the units up to my computer to change the Unit ID of the new one. 

The  USB485 Serial Adapter is what I need correct? Will any adapter work or do I have to order it from LOR?

I used the mini director last year with only 1 controller so I didn't have any use for the USB485. I have no clue what I did with the one that came with my showtime starter kit. I've looked, but can't find it anywhere.

That is a fatal flaw. You need to order one from LOR. It isn't just a 'simple' USB to Ethernet adapter. It's the RS485 protocol, which is something completely different.

Perhaps someone is close to you that has one you can use long enough to change the ID on the second unit.

As Don mentioned, it has to come from LOR as the configuration inside is different. I tried using a store bought one many years ago and it didn't work because the internal configuration is different.

Thanks for the quick replies. Wish I had thought of this when I ordered my controller. I know I have one around here somewhere because I wouldn't have thrown it out. But for the life of me I can't find the box that has the controller and my LOR paperwork in it.

I'll try the local craigslist. Maybe I can find some local people that do the blinky flashy stuff in the process. In my small town I know I'm the only one, but maybe in a near-by city. 

Edited by Squirrelcrusher

Problem solved. I tore my basement apart because I knew I wouldn't have thrown it out. Found it! It was in the closet behind/under the cat litter. Why I put the box there, I have no idea.several hours of searching paid off. My basement is a mess, but I found it. 

Glad you found it.

I would seriously think about ordering one as a spare. I have a spare one just in case I need it. If it craps out, you are done. So order an extra one now while your thinking about it.

I should only need it for a few minutes while I am changing the unit ID since I don't run my whole show from the computer and for now I don't plan on expanding the show to any more controllers. 32 channels is already a challenge for me.

And what if in those few minutes it doesn't work?...

Or what if you misplace it... again? :)

And you don't plan to expand now... but what if next year is different?

And you can't find it?

Or you do and it doesn't work?

Oh my... wish I had a spare. :)