Light-O-Rama Forums

Led moving wash lights...

canadianchristmas

Hi everyone, I just thought I would ask to see what people think of what I have found, 

So for 2016 I plan on adding 8x mini moving head wash lights I am looking at these moving heads: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fast-Shipping-LED-moving-head-mini-wash-7x12w-rgbw-quad-with-advanced-7-12-channels/32362824316.html

I thought this would be better then the normal 10w floods that everyone else is using because I can position them were ever I want, to get various different lighting angles and different spot light like effects in my next years show.

Now the issue that has come up, How should I weather proof them?

I have been trying to find any DIY solutions and have found out that some people are using clear acrylic globes, but I have not found much info on this...

I Have also been looking around at professional outdoor moving head domes enclosures and have so far found the cheapest one to be $59.99 USD each here is a link to them: http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/10372259/Waterproof_Moving_Head_Cover_Moving_Head_Rain_Cover.html

The $59 ones are sold on a site called Diytrade, has anyone ever bought anything from them or had any experiences with them?

Also because of the price of their moving head domes I feel it is almost too good to be true, so the reflective properties of the plastic used may be poor so it would reflect a lot.

Any thoughts or experiences with the moving heads mentioned or how I should go about constructing outdoor enclosures for them would be great.

thanks!

Ps: sorry if this sounds like a bit of a ramble I wrote this at 2:23 AM and I need sleep.. -_- 

Edited by canadianchristmas

I can't comment on the specific brand that you are looking at, but I will say that with moving heads, you get what you pay for. Prices have certainly dropped in the past few years (the first intels I purchased for work were $3000+ and I recently replaced them with $800 units) but I'd be worried about the build quality especially if you use them outside.

As for the covers, if they only cost $59, till you mess around engineering and building your own covers, $59 is a bargain!

Just my .02! I hope you'll share video once you have everything installed and working.

I can't comment on the specific brand that you are looking at, but I will say that with moving heads, you get what you pay for. Prices have certainly dropped in the past few years (the first intels I purchased for work were $3000+ and I recently replaced them with $800 units) but I'd be worried about the build quality especially if you use them outside.

As for the covers, if they only cost $59, till you mess around engineering and building your own covers, $59 is a bargain!

Just my .02! I hope you'll share video once you have everything installed and working.

Yea this is what I ment by it may be to good to be true for all the products mentioned above, but a lot of people seemed to like the moving heads I mentioned based on aliexpress reviews so I may take a gamble on them and see what happens. I got the idea for these moving heads from another light display called livermore lights who used a similar moving head in their 2014 display: https://youtu.be/YUoDsOmIPG4  The person who dose the livermore lights is on the forum somewhere, I came across there profile but they haven't been active since September but they talked about buying a similar knock of of the blizzard flurry q. However I have got no response from them yet so we will see what happens.

Also you can see my 2015 Halloween light show here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/37517-2015-light-show-with-video/

Edited by canadianchristmas

I would be curious as to how they look. If they are close to the ones livermore lights used, I would be interested in a few.

Keep us posted.

I would be curious as to how they look. If they are close to the ones livermore lights used, I would be interested in a few.

Keep us posted.

This is a post livermore lights made on facebook the lights they use and these ones at least LOOK VERY similar.

https://www.facebook.com/livermorelights/photos/pb.203826952824.-2207520000.1445449156./10151833803347825/?type=3&theater

7 Years ago I was bitten by the bug for Xmas lighting. I am a professional lighting technician and was lighting designer / director for the band Journey. My 2nd year I was already bored with the typical lighting for Xmas that I used 8 Martin 700 moving spots with some gobals in them. I encased tem with acrylic encasement. Now I'm in the Midwest and after about the 2nd week I had to reprogram them do to many neighbors complained they were to bright when they would shine inside the windows. So my words from the non-wise make sure yours don't point in the windows.

By chance does anyone of sequences for just either arches or prefer circles with CCP? Let me know. Thanks.

7 Years ago I was bitten by the bug for Xmas lighting. I am a professional lighting technician and was lighting designer / director for the band Journey. My 2nd year I was already bored with the typical lighting for Xmas that I used 8 Martin 700 moving spots with some gobals in them. I encased tem with acrylic encasement. Now I'm in the Midwest and after about the 2nd week I had to reprogram them do to many neighbors complained they were to bright when they would shine inside the windows. So my words from the non-wise make sure yours don't point in the windows.

By chance does anyone of sequences for just either arches or prefer circles with CCP? Let me know. Thanks.

How did you make your acrylic enclosures? This is EXACTLY what I need to know! Any info on the enclosures you used or how you built them would be great!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea this is what I ment by it may be to good to be true for all the products mentioned above, but a lot of people seemed to like the moving heads I mentioned based on aliexpress reviews so I may take a gamble on them and see what happens. I got the idea for these moving heads from another light display called livermore lights who used a similar moving head in their 2014 display: https://youtu.be/YUoDsOmIPG4  The person who dose the livermore lights is on the forum somewhere, I came across there profile but they haven't been active since September but they talked about buying a similar knock of of the blizzard flurry q. However I have got no response from them yet so we will see what happens.

Also you can see my 2015 Halloween light show here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/37517-2015-light-show-with-video/

I buy everything on Aliexpress now.  As long as the vendor is good, as this one obviously is, you'll be fine from a quality standpoint.  Truthfully, those lights will likely be BETTER than the lower end crap you buy from DJ companies like Chauvet, et al.  I use 6 36 w wall washers that I bought for 110 each 4 years ago and they are AWESOME. (waterproof, bulit-in strobe, etc)  Similar lights from Elation & GE start at $400 bucks.