Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb tree?

drivemewilder

I know I'm not the only one to think of doing one, but I can't generate any finds when I search for it.  Does anyone have a dumb tree or is there a post somewhere that I can't find?  I currently have a 20' mega with Red, Green, Blue, White, and Multi.  I also have a CCR tree.  I have a mixture of CCP's and also dumb strips in my display.  I'm contemplating selling off all the LED's from the mega tree and buying another CMB24 with enough dumb strings to make a new mega tree. I'm just not sure how it would look since I've never seen one before.  I've seen the pixel trees and a dumb tree would look identical when the pixel trees are solid.  But most pixel trees aren't solid very long before they start doing what they are meant to do, and it hides any flaws that might exist.  I've seen debates in the past about the cost difference between smart/dumb trees, I just don't remember where that was.  I think it would take 2 CMB boards (16 actual strings) to complete a tree.  At summer sale this would be about $400.  16 strings at $20/each, another $300. So, $750-800 for a dumb tree.  Opinions/suggestions?

To be honest it wouldn't be that much different then your LED tree. I mean you would have many more colors to choose from but the design and patterns would be the same just more colors available.

Off hand, it would be similar to your existing mega tree except it would allow any color for each string.  Of course that means it could replicate your existing red, green, blue, and white strings, but could not replicate your existing multi-color strings.  One thing to keep in mind for a 360 degree tree is viewing angle for a RGB strip.  You don't get light off the back of the strip, so you would have to think about how to orient the strips.

Appreciate the responses.  I realize that it would be similar to my existing tree, but with many more color options.  Which is kinda the point of going RGB to begin with right?  As it stand right now, if my house is purple or teal or some color my mega doesn't have...I have a choice to turn the tree off and go black, or match it with the closest thing on my tree.  The other reason I like the idea of changing over is the clean look and the work.  5 colors to make a tree is ALOT, I think.  And the bulbs lay this way and that way and kinda cluttered.  After I purchased mounting strips for my existed strips, I will never do it any other way!  It's straight and clean.  I like the idea of the lights being in a straight line and symmetrical.  I also like the idea of matching the color of my house exact instead of going dark or having something not really match too well.  Seems like the weight and consequently the work would be much less also.

Well, for around the same price you could do a smart tree which could do everything a dumb tree does plus a lot more. With the dumb tree you would need two cards and the smart tree would only need one for the same price as the two. The pixel strings are close in price so not that much difference there. Just something to consider if you are going to upgrade anyway.

I've seen many of your posts emmienlightfan...and you are a big advocate of pixels!  I anticipated you would respond!  I'm not against doing pixels, I love my roof outline and my arches.  But I used CCP's for those as they are simple to use.  All this E1.31 and san devices and 684 and ip addresses....man it's over my head.  I barely, and I mean barely have enough space in my head to learn what I already know.  Each year I do what I can to keep my head above water with what I have!  The tech is constantly changing and there is so much going on.  I did however strongly consider a pixcon16 knowing that I can get far more pixels than a dumb tree AND use LOR protocol, but most people act like that's NOT the way to go.

Is this accurate:  1 Pixcon16 controller $200.  Can drive 16 pixel strings of 170 pixels.  Each string about $20.  Most strings I see are 50ct, so 3 of these x $20= $60 worth of lights per channel. $960 if I used (3) 50ct strings 16 times.  Plus the controller and now I'm at $1200.

That is if you maxed out the controller and used power injection, the smart pixel strings have the same amount of pixels as dumb pixels usually 50 per string or 150 channels, you can put 170 pixels in a universe or 510 channels. The overall length of the string would depend on the spacing between pixels, I think lors are 6" between pixels but I have seen others at 3", 4", 6" and 8" spacing.

Edited by Mr. P

First off, it should be said Red, white, blue & then green (U.S. military guy here :) )

And the 20ft height I would think be something to think about using what ever. That's an awful lot of length flapping in the wind, ice or what ever the weather.

Blue green multi white red....lol. I'm not getting into the semantics of the correct sequence! But I'll consider that next time. Keep in mind that I said "currently" my tree is 20ft. If I ever went nodes or pixels, I would reconsider the height. But good catch nonetheless. We do get string winds here. I would probably use rope pulled tight and zip tie the lights to it.

Is this accurate:  1 Pixcon16 controller $200.  Can drive 16 pixel strings of 170 pixels.  Each string about $20.  Most strings I see are 50ct, so 3 of these x $20= $60 worth of lights per channel. $960 if I used (3) 50ct strings 16 times.  Plus the controller and now I'm at $1200.

16 Pixel Strings ~$220 (Nodes, not Strips, Pre-Sale price)

Pixcon 16, E682, P12S or Falcon 16 v2 ~ $200

300w power supply ~$35

Enclosure ~$15

Material to build a pole structure ~ $150

That's just a bit over $600

2 LOR 8 pk of Dumb strips and controller, to make 16 ~$940

2 Power Supplies ~$70

That's just a bit over $1000 just for the lights.

You can control Pixels as a dumb string on most if not all of the controllers mentioned above. If you decide to do the tree as Pixels, then everything is already in place.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

• Like 1

16 Pixel Strings ~$220 (Nodes, not Strips, Pre-Sale price)

Pixcon 16, E682, P12S or Falcon 16 v2 ~ $200

300w power supply ~$35

Enclosure ~$15

Material to build a pole structure ~ $150

That's just a bit over $600

Which pixel strings are $220? I'm guessing I would need more than 16 strings to complete a pixel tree. This is a new concept to me so I'm trying to get a good grasp. Been doing a lot of reading up on. Just not seeing a lot of price breakdowns. Edited by drivemewilder

http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_44&products_id=179

Wait on presale after the first of the year. they will be in the $12-$13 range. Most pixel strings are usually 20 gauge wire, these have 18 gauge. During the presale, you can choose the color of the wire also.

Edited by Ron Boyd