Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuration for a (small) spiral tree

ElectricCorn

Hello, all!

I know there's a range of arrangements that work and some of it is personal preference, but as I'm new to trees I'm seeking advice from those who have a better feel for these things than I do. So, gIven the following constraints and details...

Small 360° tree (~10'), spiral lights, PVC frame

16 channels available

Animated display, but not set to music (next year...)

All LED strings

Not RGB (year after next, ha!)

Advanced level LOR software

...what would you say is the optimum configuration of colors/channels? Options include:

1 color @16 channels - smoothest animation

2 colors @8 channels each - adds some flexibility

2 colors @6 or 7 channels each - keep extra channels as spares or for top

3 colors @5 channels each - 1 spare channel for star on top

4 colors @4 channels each - getting kinda sparse

Or something else?

Not tying the display to music frees us from being tied to multiples of (usually) 4 so as to match the song's beat. However I'd think even numbers provide for more sequencing patterns.

Whaddya think?

Jer

I have been using a 16 channel 8' spiral tree for the last 3 years.  My color scheme is red & green, so I obviously only use 2 colors.  I use 70 count c6 led bulb strings and fold them in half.  8 strings of red and 8 of green.  By folding them I have double the bulbs for each spiral.

• Like 1

I say go for the 16 channels one color, one direction. You're correct - much smoother transitions with 16 channels, and that means everything. A spiral tree that jumps looks tacky and looks like a cheap imitation of a real one. A spiral that spins smoothly and gracefully is a sight to behold.

Ordinarily, I'd agree that an odd number of channels gives superior sequencing options when it comes to mini trees, arches, poles and such. Groups of fours makes for simple sequencing and can also make for boring sequencing. There's just so many ways you can work with four. For a spiral tree though, I believe you want even numbers. There's a lot of interesting patterns using opposites and that doesn't work with an odd number.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

I think I will indeed go with a single color. I really like the look when it's smooth. Later, when the channel budget allows, more colors will come!

Thanks for the help, guys.

Jerry