Light-O-Rama Forums

Difference between RGB-Ribbon-150 and CCR150D

ptauss

Hi to all,

I'm newbie, and I would like to invest for a tree in 360 degrees.

On the Light-o-rama website, there is the CCR150D, but who is too expensive.

And there is the RGB-Ribbon-150, who is much more affordable.

My question is: what's the difference between these 2 products ?

Thanks for your help

ptauss

Ptauss, pixel nodes tend to be better for a 360 degree tree, than do the ribbons. Go to the Superstar website and check out the 360 tree. This should help you out.

Each LED in the Cosmic Colour Ribbon (CCR150D)are smart, which means they can be controlled individually. Each one can be any color.

The RGB ribbons are dumb. All LEDs along the whole ribbon turn the same color.

Wouaaouh, thanks very much for your explication.

I understand better why there is such a price difference between these 2 products.

indi, my project is to build a megatree 360 degrees, and I'm in contact with Brian of the Superstar website, to make it correctly.

Only its tree makes 24 x 25 pixels, and me, I want to make 24 x 50 pixels.

I found bulbs Smart Pixel RGB LEDs at Holiday Coro, but I don't know which controller I have to use, an idea ?

@+

You will need an E1.31 Pixel controller.

There are many available. HolidayCoro sell one in two sizes, the AlphaPix 4 and the AlphaPix 16. HolidayCoro are not very popular on here. They have very little support for their products. The AlphaPix range also had a problem with random lights flickering. I don't know whether the issue has been resolved.

I use one of Advatek Light's Pixlite4 controllers. It has been very, very good and support is excellent.
I will be getting a Pixlite 16 for 2016.

The SanDevices controllers are very popular. I have not owned one or read much about them so I cannot say much. Their website is not very good and I couldn't find where to order and any product information.

For anybody right now I would recommend the Pixcon 16 from Light-O-Rama. Their support is the best and you can guarantee that everything will work together.

Before you do select your controller you need to look at the smart pixels that you want. Which IC type do they have? (ICs are the chip inside the pixel that tell it what to do, and they all have their own 'language'. Popular IC types are WS2811 and WS2801)
You will need a controller that can control the IC type of your pixels.

How many pixels will you need? A 24x50 tree will have 1200 pixels. This may fit on a single output of a Pixlite4 (I am unsure of the exact amount that it can take)

Which voltage are you using? Are your pixels 12v or 5v? Larger pixels (Such as domes and balls) have 24v, but I doubt you will use those for your mega tree.

Your controller must be able to do the voltage you choose. Some can only do 12v not 5v. On a lot of them you need a jumper or a jumper wire to tell the controller that it is on 5v. Some you need a 5v supply for the electronics in the controller but can use 12v pixels powered from a second power supply.

You will need power injection if you are using 5v pixels. If you are using 12v pixels you will still need it in some places. Trees are easy. Just connect all the positives together and all the negatives together at the top of the tree and you should have quite even power. You may need to do it at the bottom to make sure there is no yellowing. Don't use cheap tiny wire for long runs, but it is fine for small bits.

Power injection is also important because you cannot have very high currents flowing through your controller. You will need a power supply capable of powering all your pixels.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Also, LOR plans to have pixels and power supplies in their store at some point. However, I have no idea when. I myself is waiting also. I figure next season is when I will plan for some new props using the Pexicon 16 that I have now. Waiting for the other items to come to the LOR store.

I expect that they will be expensive. Good for newbies though as they can do packages and know that everything will work together.

Thanks thanks very much for your infos and advice.

I think of buying these bulbs at Holiday Coro: Smart / Pixel RGB LED Node 8mm/12mm / 12v / 2811 / 50 Node String / 3" Spacing

And for the controller, if I have 24 strings, I would need controller(s) having 24 output.

Thus, I would need 2 Pixcom 16 to connect every my strings, exact ?

@+

I believe that you can configure it in dual normal mode. If so, the you can get away with just one pxicon 16 controller. Brain at Superstar might be able to answer that. I am using LOR's CCP's for my tree. I have 6 CCP controllers for the tree and 2 CCP controllers for the globe. I think this same setup can be done with one pexicon 16. I am not sure.

You can use 170 pixels on a universe in you case 50 ct strings you would put 3 strings per universe so you need a controller with a least 8 universes.

Thus, every connection can manage until 170 RGB leds.

Then, the controller PixCon 16 can manage a total of 16x170 = 2720 RGB leds

In the explanation of the controller, it's written: The LOR PixCon16 can drive up to 32 strings of 170 RGB pixels in DMX mode or up to 16 strings of 170 pixels in LOR Enhanced Pixel Mode.

I don't understand the difference between DMX mode and LOR Enhanced Pixel, somebody can enlighten me ?

How is managed the RGB leds, if there are 3 strings connected on the same connector ?

The controller puts a specific address for every bulb ?

Sorry to annoy you with all my questions, but before investing me, I would like to understand how it work.

Thanks

All three strings are connected end to end so on that universe the first pixel is channel one the last channel is 510

All three strings are connected end to end so on that universe the first pixel is channel one the last channel is 510

Ah ok, thus if I understood well your explanation.

We can connect several strings on the same connector, but the strings must be linked in series, and not link the 3 strings in parallel, linked in the same place.

And every RGB led has 3 channels, 3 x 170 leds = 510 channels

Really very interesting, Thanks

Concerning the difference between DMX mode and LOR Enhanced Pixel, somebody can enlighten me ?

All of the E1.31 controlers are DMX. E1.31 is just DMX delivered via ethernet. LOR enhanced protocol is just a protocol that is used by LOR controllers only  to send lighting commands to there controllers.

The pixcon16 will accept either type of protocol.

If connecting 3 strings together you will need to inject power into the strings. RGB is for the most part a DC voltage product & there is voltage drop issues with long lengths/ higher # of pixels.

Edited by Darryl Lambert

My project consists to putting 2 strings by groups of led, what makes 12 groups of 100 RGB LEDs

But I have just calculated the current for 2 strings for one connector.

The total is 4,5A for 100 RGB leds, and the PixCon16 authorizes only 4A by connector !

Given that the 100 leds will not ignite at the same time, thus, that must be good, what do you think about it ?

And to supply the 2 banks of the PixCon16, it's necessary to have 2 power supply, exact ?

Thanks for your help

Given that the 100 leds will not ignite at the same time, thus, that must be good, what do you think about it ?

No. The pixels shouldn't all ignite at once. The fire will start at one and eventually burn them all.

If you don't understand that just ignore it.

You can have two power supplies, or you can have one and split the output so it connects to both.

One very important thing to consider that no one has mentioned here is warranty.  LOR has a two-year warranty on their pixels and their controllers.  HC's warranty will have already expired by Thanksgiving.  Maybe it's just me, but from my perspective any company who offers a whopping 30-day warranty is one to avoid in every possible way.