Light-O-Rama Forums

Cable ties..how close

olduffer

Hi All,

I'm building my first 2D tree this year, 20 ft tall, 16 strings with 16.5 ft ws2811 strips. I used 1/2 inch emt conduit for the strings support. I need opinions on how far apart I can get away with spacing the cable ties to hold the strips on. I currently have them spaced about 1 foot apart on the cut lines. Do I really need to place 1 cable tie at every cut mark?

Thanks!!!

Be very careful with cable ties on ribbons,  it is VERY easy to damage the ribbon circuit board.  Taut but not TIGHT.  If cold does not interfere suggest white electrical tape. Just enough so there is no sagging.  

Use your own judgement on that olduffer.   The conduit is round and its pretty easy for the strip to rotate off to the side.  If you think it wont slip its ok.  If your prop is going to be hard to reach later you might want to make it more secure.  I have my CCRs mounted on emt with ties about a every three cut lines.

Thanks!

These strips have a silicone sleeve, but I was pretty careful about how tight I made the ties. I wonder, has anyone ever tried clear gorilla packaging tape? Just a dumb thought.

They seem pretty secure now, but the thought of placing a tie at every single cut mark made my back ache !

• 2 weeks later...

I use EMT for couple of years and what I because I have the storage room for being 20ft I laid them between 2x4s and hot glued them so I won't damage the

ribbons like I heard lots of people did by wire tying them. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the replies all. The tree is up, and I went every 3 cut marks. So far, they are staying in place.....