Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm thinking about buying a LOR controller

utilaisla

I'm new to LOR. I'm thinking about buying a 16 channel controller. What else should I buy? Does LOR works with Mac? All my lights are LED. Mostly C7 and C9. How many light sets can I plug in each outlet? Thank you so much.

A 16 channel controller running LED's can run a lot of lights. Its all based on how much the strings draw. Here is the page that describes what they'll do and how much power they can handle.

http://www1.lightorama.com/residential-ac-light-controllers/

With LED's, you can get wild and crazy with lights. You will need a USB/Rs485 adapter too which will come out of your computer then connect to the controller(s). Know this....and its important..... the cable that connects the controller, to the RS485/USB adapter, is a standard Cat5 cable for networking. BUT, It is NOT used for networking in this case. The RS485 connections on the adapter and on the controller, are not TCPIP network connections so do not connect your computer's network cable to the adapter or controller. ONLY connect using the cable from the adapter to the controller.

You'll need a license too so you might look at the starter packages first.

http://www1.lightorama.com/lighting-starter-package/

• Like 1

LOR will not run on a mac. Just buy a cheap Windows PC. It does not have to be powerful to run your show, but a faster one is better for sequencing.

Don't plug the controller into the ethernet socket on your PC.

You should look at the starter package. It will have everything you will need for now.

• Like 1

I'm new to LOR. I'm thinking about buying a 16 channel controller. What else should I buy? Does LOR works with Mac? All my lights are LED. Mostly C7 and C9. How many light sets can I plug in each outlet? Thank you so much.

But the Showtime Central Starter package. It comes with everything you need. The Light O Rama program. A controller, an FM Transmitter so people driving by in cars can hear your show. And best of all for a newbie, you don't have to use your computer for your show. Thus you don't need to worry about having a Mac. You transfer your sequences to an SD card, just like a digital camera uses, plug it into the the slot, and you're ready to go. Don'tbe intimidated. I'm new myself, and I'm an idiot lol, and even I thought the whole thing was fairly easy.

Edited by Roxxxtar
  • Like 1

But the Showtime Central Starter package. It comes with everything you need. The Light O Rama program. A controller, an FM Transmitter so people driving by in cars can hear your show. And best of all for a newbie, you don't have to use your computer for your show. Thus you don't need to worry about having a Mac. You transfer your sequences to an SD card,

Just to be clear here. You won't need a windows machine to run your show with the showtime starter package but you will need windows to do your sequencing. Even if you buy sequences you won't be able to modify them easily in any way without the LOR sequencing editor software ( which is windows based )

And as Mr. P says this isn't early at all. I've already started putting out my display.

• Like 1

Just to be clear here. You won't need a windows machine to run your show with the showtime starter package but you will need windows to do your sequencing. Even if you buy sequences you won't be able to modify them easily in any way without the LOR sequencing editor software ( which is windows based )

And as Mr. P says this isn't early at all. I've already started putting out my display.

See, I'm still learning. I didn't know it was strictly Windows based.

• Like 1

fantastic. thank you so much for replying. i cant wait to set up my lights. i know its early but i am ready to do this ;)

cheers

Others have already said it, but it's true. It's not early at all. Just a suggestion, as a newbie myself, I don't know if you really have that much time to make your own personal sequences. Your best bet imo, is to download the shared sequences on this board and modify them to fit your house. Another option is buying pre made sequences from LOR, but you'll still want to modify them to fit your house.At least I would. There are tons of shared FREE sequences out there, but it's also fun to make your own, but very time consuming. We're talking hours/weeks/months even.

People think that working on your Christmas light display in October is early, but most of us would say starting in August is late. I started in December - last year.

• Like 1

I agree too. Its very late in the year to get going but for only 16-32 channels, it can be done. You'll need to acquire everything immediately and get to sequencing. Yesterday, I put up my window frame lights because I use them for Halloween too. One has to come back down as half of a dumb rgb strip didn't work so got some troubleshooting to do. I think the majority of us, start planning in January for a late November starting of the show and yes, it takes that much time depending on what we're doing and available time to work on it.

Don't let that discourage you though, you can do it but get busy!

Welcome aboard. You're starting in the correct place to get help & answers - this forum...

Agree with everyone, it's late - oh man, how we gonna get it all done phase started a long time ago...

With that said, it's not too late for 16 channels to get started. You asked what else to buy. I started with a package deal. This late in the year, I would suggest you do the same. Two really good LOR partners have starter package deals. I've purchased from both and recommend both.

1) Don at Synchronized Christmas :

http://store.synchronized.christmas/lor-starterkit-pc16

2) Wowlights starter package includes sequences you can pick out:

http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=20&Product=117

Good luck..