Light-O-Rama Forums

solderless 5050 connections

wrohdejr

I just found this on amazon. I know its not for a permanate fix but if your in a bind and need to cut the strips and make a quick connection i think these will work. I just ordered it and it will be delivered tomorrow i will let you know how they work.

http://www.amazon.com/Esco-Lite-Solderless-Connector-Adapter-Non-waterproof/dp/B00GPCYU7Q/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VJBPT4D8N8CQECBXMX5

I would be curious as to how well it works.

For what it's worth, strips them selves aren't permanent either. :)

I laughed my ass off when I looked at the picture of the thing with two strips connected.  They had them lined up backwards so the colors don't match...

• Like 2

I laughed my ass off when I looked at the picture of the thing with two strips connected.  They had them lined up backwards so the colors don't match...\

LOL now that's funny stuff there

At least they wrote the instruction for you, didn't follow them but they supplied it:

Attention:

1.For non-waterproof LED strip light, just slide in the ribbon and make sure positive and negative poles match.

Edited by saxon

They will be on here later asking why their lights don't work   :) 

"New User- I connected my two strips together with my new connectors just like the picture showed me but for the life of me I can't figure out why they won't work."

Edited by Mr. P

Generally these do NOT work well.  Very delicate even if you get them to work.  Best is to solder wire between sections for a bend (of course then you have to handle the water/weather issue).

I agree with jerrymac. I've tried similar ones in the past. They work like there discription 50/50 :D

I've found if the strip moves in any way then the strip will lose it's connnection.

• Like 1

What Jerry and Darryl said.

Tried them about 2 years ago. Gave up after about 15 minutes.

And.....that WAS connecting them the right way around.

Edited by PhilMassey

I'm definately not the best at soldering but I did manage to cut then solder to replace a bad section on a strip this year. The little copper pads on those strips are very close together & the least little bit of solder will result in flickering colors or worse if you bridge the + and a color. 

After you solder a strip I run them for at least an hour alternating colors. Those little solder bridges don't show up right away for some reason. I think it happens after it's been on awhile & the strip heats up a bit.

On the dumb strips I've been soldering to the back side on the second pad in. I find that gives a good strain relief. most of the factory solder joints are a little fragile. on the pixel strips I use the second pad in for the positive and negative power data hooked up to the first pad of course

I do the same thing - alternate top and bottom side of the strip. Less likely to bridge two different connections.