Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestions for buying Mega Tree Kit

coachdove

I am building a 20ft mega tree for my display this year.  I am looking for a kit with guide wires, crank, etc.

I found the one for $199.00 on christmaslightshow.com,  but was wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper place.

3Glighting is sold out of the 20ft kits right now, but their kit is more expensive than the one I'm looking at.

Anyone know of another site I'm missing?  

Why not just make your own. Buy a pole/pipe, some wires to make guy wires, a crank and make the hook/head assembly. It's just that simple really. And if you google it, you will find many folks out there that made their own.

Just a suggestion since you're wanting to save money.  ;)

• Like 1

As I agree with Tom most of the time, for my new 20ft Mega Tree, I bought parts from both vendors you mentioned. I really value Tom's opinion though. My new mega tree is patterned somewhat after seeing his 33ft tree in person last year. But his MegaMega utilizes a Rohn tower, which is just too big for my yard. I did however twist 4 colors of lights, RWB-G, into super-strands with guy wires similar to Tom's. (Don't like the sagging look and should make the lightstrings last longer not having to support themselves..) ((Also learned the correct color order from Tom - red, white & blue come first, then green - in honor of our servicemen and women...))

I found the same boat crank at Harbor Freight, but it was only $2 cheaper and didn't have the 30ft of needed cable. I work with a welder and we drew out making a hook head. By the time I would have bought 16 J-hooks and the metal plate, center coupling, etc - well I thought why am I trying to reinvent the wheel. (And too many horror stories to trust my new C6 lights to a pvc toilet closet...) Now like I said, bought from both. My front yard is sloped and I like the lights going all the way to the ground, no trunk. So to accommodate for the 1" per foot drop, I'm doing it like a trunk and bought the pvc anchor holders. I'm using allthread rod cut to various lengths to have this base ring level. So most of it came from CLS; hookhead, pole-pin, crank, anchors, tree ring anchors. Bought the 3-d star from 3G. Both vendors had my orders to me here in OK in less than a week.

I set it up this summer to be sure, sure, sure, sure.... Works great. IMHO, order the CLS kit now - you'll be happy.

Good luck,

Daniel

• Like 2