Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini director not "connecting"

seriouslylosingit

My snafu of the day.  I went to try to troubleshoot my rgb strip lights because they are wired wrong and were not showing the proper colors and now my mini director seems to have given out on me.  Here is what happens and what I have tried.

I attach the cat 5 to 16 channel controller and the 8 channel rgb controller (cmb24d)..The lights on the mini director flash before I put the sd card in, but then go out.  It seems like the controllers are trying to connect (showing me a solid light), but then reverts back to blinking like it is getting no input.

I have deleted my files from the sd card, done a "scan and fix", and then re saved.  Still the same thing is happening.  I have always used the mini director and have no idea how to use my computer to control the lights. (I would like to learn for times like this)

I simply want to figure out the wiring order (rgb) so I know that I will be lighting with the proper colors.  Is there a simple device or tool to do this with so I don't have to use the controllers in the future?

Thanks as always for your feedback and help.  Many of you are the only reason I continue with this craziness!!!

Thanks

R

• 2 weeks later...

1. If your show depends on your mini director, then you should always have a backup unit ready to swap in.

The controllers don't really "connect", because the data is one-way. If the status lights start flashing, then the mini director is not sending a signal.

If you sequence on a laptop, then it makes sense to have a USB-RS485 adapter so you can control the lights in the field.