Light-O-Rama Forums

Rope Light Mounting

Skyrocket

I just picked up a lot of rope light (4 colors) on clearance sale. Next year I want to replace the C7 lights on my house with these rope lights. I want to hang the rope lights in a parallel fashion so that I can turn the different colors on and off and maintain a full side profile view of each of the four colors, sort of like the graphics shown below.

Has anyone done something like this or have any ideas on what hardware I could use?

I thought about making an aluminum or plastic plate and riveting on the plastic clips that come with the lights but the clips seem to get pretty rigid when mounted to the plates. Also, installing the brackets while on the ground would cause a problem when trying to form the parallel light rope to corners and the peaks of the roof. I estimate that I would need about 150-200 of the mounting devices.

I would also be able to use the red, clear, and blue lights during July 4th holiday. And added benefit would be the reduced current pull.

While I'm at it, how does eveyone store your rope lights? Since the plastic tube seems to have a memory when it comes to shape, I thought I would want to either keep them stretched out straight in my garage or coil them on some kind of a homebuilt large diameter reel. It looks like it could be a pain to get them to straighten out if they are installed on the house when it's cold outside.

Thanks a lot. Happy holidays to everyone.

Roger

Attached files 147115=8634-Rope Light mounts.jpeg

Charlie,

Thanks for the tip. I am hoping not to have to install the clips pernamently. I am now toying with a concept of bending a clip out of heavy wire (coat hangar type) that would hold the four rows of lights in shape. The clip could hang from a nail or eye screw.

Thanks again. Merry Christmas

Roger