Light-O-Rama Forums

Ideas for hiding excess rope light without cutting it?

Roxxxtar

Again, this is my first year. I plan on going the RGB route next year.

I took the advice of some on the board of having some rope light around my many windows and using the track channels for a nice straight line.

I don't want to cut the rope light as I'll use it for something else next year.

I already have the rope light, so buying shorter rope is not an option. lol

On my upstairs windows, I have about 4 extra feet that I need to do something with. Any ideas?

You can use electrical tape to hide anything that is not wanted to be seen, The nice part is after a season out there, if you want to remove it, it should come back off.

You can use electrical tape to hide anything that is not wanted to be seen, The nice part is after a season out there, if you want to remove it, it should come back off.

They won't overheat doing that?

They won't overheat doing that?

I've been doing this for years & no issues.

But I'm in the great white north & the tape might keep the rope light together with my sub-zero temps!! :lol:

By far IMO, the easiest and cheapest route is to use split poly "loom" tubing.

Ton's of loom on ebay...really cheap.  I think my last 100ft roll of 1/2 loom was less than $20 shipped.    

I use it to cover excess rope ligh on my singing faces and to bundle up wire clusters around the yard.

First I have to say that I use led rope. It is not hot.

But, if it were not led rope I would still use heat shrink tubing. Tape will come off. And I don't want to re-do my work.

White doesn't work. It has to be black. Just in case you were wondering about if you could use that spare white you got laying around.....

Please forvigive me, hopefully you guys won't think I'm tooooo stupid. So if I use the split loom, and my lights are 3/8 ropes, should I buy the 3/8 loom, or the half inch which would be an easier fit?

In my first year we had this problem - the "cut" marks for LED rope light typically do not match well with the house measurements we needed.

SOLUTION:

Depending on location, we tucked away any loose rope. We had not one, not four, but THREE strands of LED rope light... that ALSO didn't evenly line up in measurement. (Mainly the "cut lines" were off)

We just did our best. We had used plexiglass strips - about 100 ft of plexiglass - to mount the three strands together and had drilled holes to zip tie the LED ropes to the plexiglass. All we did was tuck loose rope around corners, up in the eaves, or just embraced the disorder and chaos altogether.

Let's just say that LED rope comes on a spool. That spool is shrink-wrapped. That spool was sitting in a truck for a few days - LED ROPE IS WAVY AND A PAIN in the you-know-where to straighten out. That's why we are switching partially to RGB LEDs. Some spots on our house REQUIRES the rope light for now. (Until we're more willing to learn splicing and willing to buy another RGB controller)

Do whatever you can to hide the excess. For us, some of the problem was... not enough rope light to complete the outline of a window.

Oh well. Good luck!

LN

Thanks everyone for the help. I bought the split loom off of eBay. 100ft for around 16 dollars with free shipping. Already tried it out and this will work perfectly.