Light-O-Rama Forums

Non Christmas songs in Christmas shows?

Roxxxtar

How do the veterans of the board feel?

I have about 75% Christmas tunes and the other 25%, well, some crazy stuff (Def Leppard, etc), ready to go this year.

In the end, I know it's up to me, but I would value, and consider the input of others as to if they should be included in a Christmas show.

I'm not the best person to reply to this, but I'll add my personal thoughts. As much as I'd love to add Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek and so on to the show, they aren't in the idea or my idea of "Christmas". Great songs and so many others out there as we all have different tastes in music but this is Christmas!!!  

• Like 1

I have a couple of Minions seq. One is them fixing the tree after it goes out with the THX Robot sound effects. The other is the Banana song. I also have 2.5 songs from "Frozen" (1 being a mashup of 2 songs). I also have, Let There Be Light, which is a religious tune but not necessarily Christmas. Other than that, it's all Christmas tunes, ranging from TSO to Hymnal Christmas songs. 21 sequences in all. 16 of mine are Christmas tunes.

I'm still debating the Star Wars stuff, just as a one off on the release day of SW7.

• Like 1

It's my lights, it's my yard, and it's my time. I sequence the music I want to sequence. Period. If people don't like it, they don't have to watch, and that's perfectly okay with me. With cars in line up to a quarter mile in each direction we can ALWAYS use the empty parking spot.

Some people view their display as lights synchronized to Christmas music. Our display is (and always will be) Christmas lights synchronized to music. Big difference. Ask people somewhere around the middle of December how they feel about Christmas music.

I've had very few people ever mention how much they like the Christmas songs. In fact, I can't actually recall anyone specifically saying something like that. Every night, however, people mention how much they like the selection of music. I've seen tons of people drive off during A Soldier's Silent Night, but I hardly ever see people leaving during a Pink Floyd tune.

• Like 3

Agree with George. My lights, my yard, my time!

I do have some of my shows Christmas tunes and others not.

Let 'em watch what they want.

I get more positive complements on the non-Christmas shows.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

Oh I've got a couple of semi-non-christmas songs such as the Minion Teckno and similar but the animations from holidaysequences insured they have Christmas themes within so they are good. I love StarWars, StarTrek and so on, just can't justify them related to Christmas. I do have two songs from Home Alone in there but they were done revolving around Christmas. Also do one from Harry Potter. So I'm not "pure" Christmas as such but try to stay within the general idea. Got two versions of Grandma Got Run over...one I am using and the other, I dare not here in the bible belt of the country! It would be cute but I'd get chased out of town!

• Like 1

I do a variety of Tunes as then there is something for everyone. Last year it was TSO stuff, some Party Rock, Some call me maybe (Carly Rae), Some Harry Potter, and a bunch of Christmas music as well.

Remember, Its a light show for the world to see. I usually try to keep in mind that its a free canvas of light that I get to draw with. And, Yes, I am a bit Blinky Flashy. :)

Thanks

Kip 

• Like 2

This is only my 3rd year so i'm not sure i qualify for Veteran status, but I did Selfie last year so I guess that tells you where i stand! I like the idea that it's Christmas Lights synchronized to Music (not always Christmas music though).

Did someone say Star Trek?

I like it! Who knows, maybe I should consider putting in something like yours. I love the music of course. As has been said a couple of times, if they don't like it, they will move on!

I guess I'm old fashioned.

While I love many different types of songs/music, I tend to steer into music stemmed around the holidays.

But that's just me. Old fashion. :)

50/50 for me, the only reason xmas music makes it in is because it's the season. IMO xmas music is the worst to sequence, anything else is better. If they don't like it they can park in front of some house and look at the lights that don't blink....

you spend the money on the equipment, you spend your time away from your family sequencing, you spend the time and resources to put everything up, show it off, take it down and you make the room to store all of it for a year and repeat the whole process, endless nights with music and lights dancing through your head.  You play music that you want to play, that you want to sequence. nothing worse than a sequencing a song  that you can't get into. 

I never hear a complaint about any songs, holiday or otherwise, people just like to gather, watch, ohh and ahh and make ( hopefully ) some memories.

For me, its holiday parodies that I love to sequence and play, Bob Rivers has done a ton of stuff with that holiday feel, but more up beat music to sequence.