Light-O-Rama Forums

10k channels?!?

ElectricCorn

Howdy, everyone!

I'm finally scratching the itch to have a show, and having a great time learning the ins and outs. So here's my (first) newbie question, because I suspect I'm missing something.

I love seeing in people's signatures their light/channel counts, as it gives me a feeling for what kind of capacities are needed. Some folks have over 10k channels. Given that LOR controllers look to handle 16 channels each, how is such a high channel count reached? Surely they don't have 600+ controllers... do they?

Jerry

currently at 0 channels and 0 lights  ^_^

RGB...  I have 96 regular channels and the rest are rgb.  Your rgb is one single bulb or pixel that has 3 leds in it.  Therefor you get 3 channels for that one bulb.  Adds up very quickly.

Welcome to the madness and our hobby! Once you begin, you'll find it becomes a bit consuming as you learn and see the results of your efforts on display at your home or wherever you are showing. Each of our homes or displays, no two are the same. We each have our own tastes in music, how we sequence the lights and so on. We each become an artist in lights! The rewards come to us in many different ways...kids smiling, kids/adults singing along, ourselves looking at what we created and so many other ways. Personally, if I bring a touch of Christmas spirit to just one person, cool, it was worth the effort. Its really late in the year already to start a show for this coming season, but it can be done. Limit yourself to a controller or two and go from there. We are here to help you but we're all getting to our busy season now and time is limited, but we will try.

• Like 1

Limit yourself to a controller or two.

Now that is funny.Controllers and lights are like potato chips. You can't just have one or two. My little two controller $800.00 prop kind of shot up to a few thousand dollars and 14 controllers. I'm kind of crazy though.

Looks like I need to read up on the RGB side of things more, thanks!

I know it's late to begin for this season, but it's a prime time to read and learn.

My first year I started in October. I bought a Mr. Christmas and plugged a few things into it and tried it but was not happy. The day I tried the Mr. Christmas out I purchased one 16 channel LOR controller, a mini director, and the basic software. I bought a few sequences that year and put it all together. I still remember the night I tested my display out. It was in early November and while testing it I had at least 5 cars stop and watch it for a while. At that moment I was hooked. So you still have time. And believe it or not my 16 channel display that year was a big hit in my town. Nobody else in town had a light display that was sequenced to music. I actually won best decorating contest in my town that year along with a peoples choice award. I received $200 from the contest which I put right back into the show. You do have time so go for it. You won't regret it!

• Like 1