Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it too soon

rooster423

The only thing I will put up in October is the GECE lights on my eves which get used along with the year round landscape lighting for Halloween.  This year those will go up the weekend before Halloween.  I don't want anything in the yard out on Halloween night to prevent any possible intentional damage.  I will start with Christmas display stuff on November 1st.  Most of it should be up by Veteran's day so I can start testing.  Although there are not many changes in the props, there are a lot of re-arrangements in how stuff is wired and sequenced due to changes resulting by going to S4.

• Like 1

For me, it's the end of this month.  But my Christmas display, is my Hhalloween display.  My display is still evolving and will for a full more years but that was a major goal, not having to switch out display elements between the 2 holidays.

If only doing xmas display, I would be looking at the last few weeks in October because of being in MN.  Much later and it really sucks from the cold and potential snow.

A commercial display I used to help with we always started after labor day, and it took all the way up to mid November to get it all setup. 

For my display I usually start sometime in October for elements that aren't visible (eg lights in bushes, trees) roof lights since my super string also contains colors used for Halloween I do it all in one shot. All controllers are out by the end of October.

It all depends on how you work and how big your display is how early you need to start

I know I will have problems and stuff, and will need all kinds of things. I want to start at the beginning of November, and turn them on with animation sequences mid-November, then start the musical sequences in December.

I am going to put my Halloween stuff up a week before, and turn it on for three or four nights. Halloween is not as big here in the UK, but is the fastest growing holiday. There is one other Halloween animated light house in the country that I know of.

To me it doesn't matter how early you start putting them up. You have to work out how long it takes and how many spare days you have and the allow for a bit of bad weather. I will start in October but will not switch on until 1st December

We normally do everything over Thanksgiving weekend, but we don't have nearly as much as y'all do.

I did tell the kids this weekend that I wouldn't mind trimming all the hedges and trees, and then putting the lights on those (but just not turn them on).  They laughed - until they realized I was serious.

However, we decided to watch the Doctor Who marathon leading up to the new season premiere instead. 

However, we decided to watch the Doctor Who marathon leading up to the new season premiere instead. 

I didn't know that Doctor Who was on at the same time in the US. I knew it was popular there as well though.

What channel is it on?

November 1st is my start date to begin.

However, I test ALL my display components in October.

Show starts the day (night) after Thanksgiving and runs until January 2nd.

We have a mid-size display.  We put the Halloween common stuff up in early Oct which includes eaves, controllers, etc and tear down the Halloween only stuff on 1 Nov.  

Anything that can be put up for Christmas specifically, that can be hidden from view during Thanksgiving, is done the week before Thanksgiving, but we refuse to put up Christmas blowmolds, etc until the day after Thanksgiving to give honor to that holiday.

We simply prep everything in the garage, then ask the family back the next day after the big meal and hit it.  We have family and friends included whenever possible and give out "Lighting Team" T-shirts.   It builds memories, respects all the holidays independently, and keeps everyone involved. 

Edited by Bizywk

.. I wouldn't mind trimming all the hedges and trees, and then putting the lights on those.....

Could be very costly if you get this out of order.

My opinion?

Residential - Anything before 11/1.

Commercial - Anything before 10/1.

Sure Don, your down in TX. What about folks that put lights on their roof ridge line and live a wee bit further up north? Making a blanket statement like that proves your not thinking very well.

So the answer is this. Use common sense with a bit of Kentucky windage. Depending on how fast it becomes cold. I will be putting things up starting next weekend on the roof. A week or two later I will be putting up the pole for my mega tree and the rest will be by ear. Depending on the weather. Lights on Thanksgiving night. So, I want a week to check things out and finial tweeks to the sequence.

When does everyone consider it too soon to start putting up Christmas display

I can't speak for all Canadians, but I usually start setting up my Christmas display in October. I start with the lights in the trees and bushes, then the mega trees went up (not this year) , and then late October, early November  the arches & mini trees go up. The controllers would be out now & covered in a black garbage bag for added protection, however, nothing is up so far except the lights in some of the bushes, and the Mount. Ash tree. I never took them down. It already was snowing up here in parts of Alberta, Canada....gone now ......but it is already -1 (30 F) during the nights. Gets dark faster now.....no more 19 hour days.

Edited by lightzilla

Since no two displays are the same, the requirements for putting them up are also different. Some require more time and others do not. I take down Halloween on Nov 1st, then Nov 2nd, start putting up Christmas. Takes me about a week and a day to get it all out there. Then, start testing. Yes, each string is tested before it goes up/out. Last thing anyone wishes to do is have to go back and replace or troubleshoot anything.

I always start with the roofline around mid October (I want to get it done before the snow comes - which can be early Nov!) along with anything else that's not out in the yard proper (I don't want any trick-or-treaters tripping on anything).  After Halloween it full boar on everything.