Light-O-Rama Forums

ECG-P12S Question

Denny

I have used the P12R without problem, however, I needed a new controller for this year and purchased the P12S.  The P12S comes with four jumpers but no instructions on where or when to install them.  Can anyone using the P12S tell me what they are used for or where I can find the instructions for their use.  I have the AUS Christmas manual for the P12R, but nowhere in there does it address these jumpers.

They are for optional DMX settings. There are four jumpers near the 2x RJ45. The two behind add a terminator (not needed). The two beside add P-DMX power to the RJ45. All seldom used.

Therefore they wont be needed.

VIA the ACL forums. 

Andy,

I made the power connections as shown in the P12R manual on the AusChristmas site and after watching your video.  I assume there are no differences between the 12R and 12S.  The heart beat LED flashes but only status LEDs 3 & 4 flash, Status LEDs 1 & 2 do not flash.  Is this normal?

Another question, I am using my dedicated show machine to try and connect to the P12S.  I do not have it set up to connect to the internet, but have gone in and made the changes to change the PCs IP Address as shown in the P12R manual and on your video.  However, I cannot get it to connect to the P12S.  Do you think it is a problem with the P12S or the computer?

I have a P12R and a San Devices e682 that have run flawlessly in the past; just trying to add this new controller to run a matrix this year.  I did use an old laptop to configure the other devices, but replaced it with a new laptop that has no capability for a wired connection (only wireless).  I gave the old laptop away, so don't have access to it anymore.

Any additional advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have resolved all the issues asked about above and have accessed the P12S for configuration.  I notice there are two additional configuration options that were not available on the P12R.  I am guessing that nothing has to be done in the Port Configuration window if I am not using the two added RJ45 connectors.  Not sure what the Strobe Configuration is used for, but again, I am assuming that nothing has to be done here either.  Can anybody confirm these assumptions?

Also, is there a link anywhere to support information for the P12S; can't find anything on it on the website or the AusChristmas site?

I didn't touch the DMX configuration or the strobe configuration. What I found that is needed, is to adjust the speed on each output. Last year, the only way it would work was to slow it down to 2000 on each. This year, seems 3000 - 3200 seems to be better and yes, its a different board from last year's.

I didn't touch the DMX configuration or the strobe configuration. What I found that is needed, is to adjust the speed on each output. Last year, the only way it would work was to slow it down to 2000 on each. This year, seems 3000 - 3200 seems to be better and yes, its a different board from last year's.

That was the problem, I changed the speed from the default of 750 to 3000 and the test function works as described in FastEddy's P12R manual.  I am using different pixels on the matrix than I have on the pixel tree with the P12R.  According to Ed at J1SYS, the speed has to be 5x the actual speed for the clocking of the encoding. I will have to make a note of that in FastEdldy's manual as a reminder.