Light-O-Rama Forums

Help getting my RGB started

Klayfish

Starting a new thread in my ongoing saga of trying to get my RGB up and running.  Long story short, I'm using a Sandevice E682 and 5V strips/nodes.  Never done this before.  I managed to get the E682 wired to the PSU and then connected to my outlet.  I'm on the webpage for the E682 set up.  Got it to match my computer IP address.  The tests on the top of the page work perfectly, so I know the E682 and strip are working right.  But when I go to play a sequence I made in Superstar, nothing.  I'm confused.  I'm sure it has to do with the set up in Superstar, but I don't know what.  Where do I start?

SuperStar does not have the ability to play directly to your lights. What it does is export a file that the sequence editor can play to your lights.

As you say, the key is to have things configured properly in superstar. To export DMX in superstar you first need to make a visualization of your display in the Visualizer. In the Visualizer you can set the Universe and Channel for the strings of lights.

Next you launch superstar, click on the File menu and select "Import visualization" and the visualization should show on the screen and it will be mapped to the green squares in the sequencing grid. You make your sequence, then click on the the File menu and select "Export to Sequence Editor"

Are you writing your own sequences or do you have some purchased ones?

Ah ha.  I remember watching the LOR videos talking about that, but it's been a while.  I have the visualization drawn, with the help of Ron Boyd.  He helped me set the universe and channels for the strings.  I imported the visualization when I did my sequencing.  I did my own sequencing, I've been working on it using SS since 2013 but am just now actually putting it to use.  When I say "working on it", I mean just 30 minutes here and there in my car during lunch break at work, so I'm still quite a novice. 

I just exported a file to sequence editor, and got a warning about needed an advanced license.  I have a basic.  So to run the program, I need the advanced license, right?  Once I purchase that, do I try to run it out of Sequence Editor or the Simple Show Builder?

With the Basic license the Sequence Editor will play 2 controllers (and the two controllers need to use Unit Ids 01 and 02). So if you play your sequence and the first two strings use Unit Id 01 and 02 then the first two strings will work.

To play from an unlimited number of controllers you will need the Advanced license, or the Pro license.

In either case you play the sequence from the sequence editor.

• Like 1

When you say controllers, do you mean the 16 channel controllers?  I have two of those I've been using for a few years, the RGB is now in addition to that.  At the moment, I have an Ethernet cable going from my computer directly into my Sandevice E682.  When I exported to sequence editor, I clicked on the left side of channels, and they're "universe 1 address 1" on up through part of universe 2. 

My lights aren't LOR lights, they're 2811 pixel strips (and I have nodes too).  When I open sequence editor, I get a message saying non LOR lights require an advanced license.  That's why I was wondering if I need to upgrade.

Edited by Klayfish
  • Like 1

It can be two of any kind of LOR controller. In other words it can be two 16 channel controllers, two CCR controllers, or one of each.

But I forgot that your controllers are DMX controllers. To get support for DMX controllers you need the Advanced or Pro license.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I really need help.  I'm getting frustrated trying to get my RGB running.  I just don't know what's wrong.  Help :wacko: 

I have a strip plugged into my E682.  I figured out how to access the board control webpage.  When I put a test pattern number in, the strip responds properly.  Great.  But when I try to play it in Sequence Editor, nothing. I have the channels set to start with Universe 1, channel 1.  This is the same as what's on the webpage for the controller...I think.  Suggestions?  Do I need to open the LOR Control Panel?  When I open it, I'm getting a message about a comport error.  It says "Open of serial point 3 has failed"  Error 8002.  Does this have something to do with it?

Once you have your E682 setup make sure you can ping it from your computers command prompt. Once you can do that ensure the E682 is properly setup from the control webpage. After that open SE and go into network preference and ensure the universes are set, this is where you will set the multicast or unicast and set the IP address. After that go into channel configuration and ensure your channels are set.

Did I forget anything?

Also, you have to have a advanced or pro license for E1.31

Edited by Mr. P

Once you have your E682 setup make sure you can ping it from your computers command prompt. Once you can do that ensure the E682 is properly setup from the control webpage. After that open SE and go into network preference and ensure the universes are set, this is where you will set the multicast or unicast and set the IP address. After that go into channel configuration and ensure your channels are set.

Did I forget anything?

Also, you have to have a advanced or pro license for E1.31

Make sure to shut the test demo off. I forgot to do that when i went to run a test from Xlights.

How do you ping it from the command prompt?  I read the E682 manual, and it had me go to the command prompt to get the IP address of my network.  I did that, and was able to access the control webpage.  It was from that webpage that I was able to get the strip I had hooked up to respond to the test patterns.  I put a zero value in the test sequence to shut the lights off, then went to SE.  I checked the universe set up for the sequence I wanted to test.  It started with universe 1, channel 1.  On my E682, I had the strip plugged into port 3-1.  The section of the webpage for that port started at Universe 1, channel 1.  But when I hit play, nothing.  You mentioned setting the IP address.  That's done in SE?  I thought that was just for my E682 to communicate with my computer?  Could that be the issue?

Got your PM.  I may well take you up on your offer...if I can find some time.  I have a bit of a reprieve this week since the kids are off of school, but starting this weekend I'm right back into the 18 hour weekday routine.

Sounds like your networking isn't set up properly. You must have some networking knowledge to use DMX unlike LOR which is pretty much Plug N Play.

First you need to set up all your IP addresses.

Examples:

Wifi - 10.10.10.1

LAN - 192.168.1.1

E682 - 192.168.1.5

Ensure you set the subnets to 255.255.255.0

Go to the computers command prompt, the black window with the prompt C:/ and type in:  ping 192.168.1.5  and you should get a return. This tells you the computer can talk to your E682.

Go to your web browser and type in 192.168.1.5 in the address bar, this will open the E682 web page where you can set this up.

Next, open SE and go to Edit/Preferences/Network Preferences and click on the DMX tab. Click on the Advanced button. Click on Universe 1 and then click use E1.31, specify and enter the E682 IP address 192.168.1.5  Do this for all your universes you are using. This tells LOR where to send traffic.

Open a sequence in SE then go to Tools/Channel Configuration and ensure all your channels are configured properly.

Run a sequence.

This is a rough example but it hits the basics and will hopefully get you in the ballpark.

FYI, SS doesn't play sequences you must export to SE and to do that you must have a SS license. Bottom line, you need a LOR advanced or pro license and a SS license.

Edited by Mr. P

Hmmm...still no luck.  Maybe I'm wrong, I probably am.  But when I read through the E682 manual, I followed instructions for using a wireless network, which is what my internet is.  So the IP address for the controller is 169.254.74.73.  It automatically set a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and I can't seem to change it.  Using this IP address, the C prompt ping worked, and it still will respond to the test patterns.  I went into SE and did the DMX tab of Network Preferences, using 169.254.74.73 to match the controller.  Used Universes 1 and 2.  Checked my channel configuration, and it starts at Universe 1, channel 1.  But when I play the sequence, nothing.  I'll have to try to give you a call sometime soon and try to walk through this.  I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

Your wifi and LAN are two separate networks, if you have your E682 plugged directly into your computers ethernet port with a cat5 cable then you have to configure your LAN.

Do the following on your computer for a static IP: 

-Control panel

-Network and Internet

-Network and Sharing Center

-(left column) Change adapter settings

-Right click Local Area Connection and click "Properties"

-Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

-Click Properties

-Click "use the following IP address"

-Set IP address to (example) 192.168.10.1  subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

--click OK

-Set E682 to IP address to 192.168.10.5 (static)

-Go and ping the E682 from the Command Prompt  C:/

Your LAN will now be setup for your E682 to be plugged directly into the computer. You will also have wifi connection to the internet. Your LAN and E682 will be static so the IP addresses will not change as in DHCP.

Set the Network Preferences in LOR.

Run your sequence through SE in LOR.

Edited by Mr. P

Mr. P, can you PM me your number and I'll try to call.  I'm just baffled....

RGB responds to the test patterns I input from the webpage

Ping using C: prompt works

I have "control lights" set in SE

Have the network preferences in SE matching the E682

Followed the steps for setting my local area network on my computer.

Still nothing

Klayfish

The only thing Ican think might be the problem, and maybe you have already covered this, are using multicast or unicast? more importantly, is network preferances AND e682 set to the same? If you used "specify" in the LOR network preferences then you controller should be on unicast.